Lost connections

b2

I have tested the product on about 30 systems and four
different networks. One issue that keeps comming up is
loss of connections or slow responce. Upon removing the
product all is fine. Might be something that needs to be
looked into by MS.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Loss of connections sounds like an LSP issue. We are looking into this for
a future release. In the meantime, KB:
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350) offers a
way to get your network functioning again.
As far as the performance issue, what are you doing or seeing when the
response is slow?

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

Bill Sanderson

Can I ask you to clarify "lost connections" a bit? Are you seeing error
messages indicating that a network connection has been lost? When you get
those error messages, is the connection, in fact, completely down? How do
you "fix" this?

Michael

I also receive this since I have installed the program. I
am surfing the internet then I get a message that says
'connection refused by server '.... whatever domain it is.
This happens on both FireFox and Internet Explorer. When
this does happen it also causes AIM not to signin. However,
checking my email with Outlook or if I try to ping any of
the servers that says connection refused, I get 4 replies back.

The only way I can fix this is by restarting the computer.
Then all it good again til it happens. It also happens at
random times.

I tried to send a bug report from the program; however, it
says that it cannot detect my internet connection even when
it can successfully check for updates.

sefarkas

We installed the beta on a Win XP SP2 machine with AOL9 &
its macafee virus protection software. After the
install, IE6 would not display any pages; however, my
wife was able to IM me from the very same machine to
explain the problem. Uninstalling the beta from the
control panel add/remove did not resolve the problem.
Neither did rebooting. A day later, the machine could
not obtain an IP number from our residential SMC router
(see some status information below). I finally (last
night) resorted to a system-restore, which resolved the
problem. Today I read about LSPs and reseting the
Winsock and I will wait until this anti-spyware product
can be used without drawing on years of experience with
PCs.

SMC router information
Numbers of DHCP Clients: 5
Runtime Code Version:
1.231 (Dec 12 2003 17:12:15)
Boot Code Version: V1.06
Hardware Version: 01
Serial Num: A224024579

jcharper

My problem relates to lost connections after trying to get
email with Outlook after installing MS anti-spyware. First
it does not receive the mail (cannot find the server),
then all internet connections are lost - I cannot log onto
any website including MSN until I shut down, shut down the
cable modem, repower the modem and reboot the computer.

OS - Win2k with all patches and crit updates
ISP - Cable (Cebridge Connections)
Firewall - Zone Alarm
AV - Norton Anti-Virus
Browser - IE 6
Sometimes, but not always, turning off the Zone Alarm
Firewall allows some, but not all, websites to be
accessed. Intermittently, IE 6 runs in a text only mode I
have never seen before and suggests that I update it.
However the link cannot be followed because the connection
is lost.

No new software has been added recently except MS anti-
spyware, Norton Updates, a zone alarm update and MS win2k
crit updates.

I Have:
1) uninstalled MS anti-spyware (no help)
2) Contacted my ISP - all is well to my router (both my
wife and I have computers on our home LAN so we can both
use the internet at the same time. Both computers have the
same problems) The LAN allows file exchange via the peer-
to-peer network with no problem.
3) Updated my Anti-virus definitions and run a complete
scan - no viruses found
4) Run Symantec Systemworks 2003 - corrected 23 registry
errors, 1 shortcut error and 1 program file error
5) While the connection is working, I can access my pop3
mail server (mail.jcharper.net) and read my mail online so
the mail server is OK. When accessed via outlook, the
connection is lost.
6) The same problems arise when I try to access my msn and
hotmail accounts using Outlook Express. I have not tried
to access either outside outlook express.
7) left this message here. I do not know if I will be able
to get a connection again so, if you have a sloution,
please email it to (e-mail address removed).

If you have further questions, I will be happy to help.

Cordially,
John Harper

From: "b2" <[email protected]>
Sender: "b2" <[email protected]>
Subject: Lost connections
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:51:58 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking

I have tested the product on about 30 systems and four
different networks. One issue that keeps comming up is
loss of connections or slow responce. Upon removing the
product all is fine. Might be something that needs to be
looked into by MS.

.

Bill Sanderson

John - have you tried a TCP/IP reset?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

From: "b2" <[email protected]>
Sender: "b2" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:51:58 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking

I have tested the product on about 30 systems and four
different networks. One issue that keeps comming up is
loss of connections or slow responce. Upon removing the
product all is fine. Might be something that needs to be
looked into by MS.

.

Bill Sanderson

You're quite right that this issue is one which the average user is not
equipped to handle.

As Steve mentions, they are looking into this for a future release, and in
the mean time have written a KB article for this just this problem with this
application.

This isn't the experience that Microsoft wants for the customer, and I'm
sure they will figure out how to do it better.