Looking to buy a new video card

Discussion in 'Processors' started by Nadeem, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Nadeem

    Nadeem Guest

    Hello people
    I currently have a GeForce4MX 440 64MB vga card. Its not very good at
    Doom3, and I cant play many other games like Splinter Cell and Prince of
    Persia Sans of Time with it. Am looking forward to buy a new card and to
    prepare my pc for the much awaited Half Life 2. I am not a heavy
    gamer, but I do like to play these games from time to time during week-ends.
    I have an Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB DDR266 on an A7V333-X
    motherboard(AGP 4x).
    I would like your advice on which video card would be my best nag for
    buck for the games I want to play at a reasonable frame rate.

    Somebody's proposing me to buy his used GFX5700. Would that be an 'OK' card?

    Also, I have always owned NVIDIA cards, and never had any problems
    setting them up under Linux. I dont mind considering an ATI too, if you
    assure me that is equally easy to install proprietary accelerated
    drivers for it under Linux.

    Thank you in advance.

    Nadeem, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Nadeem

    Grumble Guest

    Nadeem wrote:

    > I currently have a GeForce4MX 440 64MB vga card. Its not very good at
    > Doom3, and I cant play many other games like Splinter Cell and Prince of
    > Persia Sans of Time with it. Am looking forward to buy a new card and to
    > prepare my pc for the much awaited Half Life 2. I am not a heavy gamer,
    > but I do like to play these games from time to time during week-ends.
    > I have an Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB DDR266 on an A7V333-X
    > motherboard(AGP 4x).
    > I would like your advice on which video card would be my best nag for
    > buck for the games I want to play at a reasonable frame rate.
    >
    > Somebody's proposing me to buy his used GFX5700. Would that be an 'OK'
    > card?
    >
    > Also, I have always owned NVIDIA cards, and never had any problems
    > setting them up under Linux. I dont mind considering an ATI too, if you
    > assure me that is equally easy to install proprietary accelerated
    > drivers for it under Linux.

    Have you seen e.g. this Doom3 benchmark?
    http://anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23039

    --
    Regards, Grumble

    Grumble, Sep 23, 2004