looking far a car> Recommended

Reaction score
Having been in the motor trade for 40 years and dealt with hundreds of garages throughout the country.:nod:

This is the first time I have recommended a garage or car sales in all that time?

If anyone is interested ask for John in the sales department and mention my name Viv [John Jag] you will be dealt with in the most delightful and courteous manner will have a great deal/car and a first class service:thumb: either New or used vehicles just have a look>Here

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Having been in the motor trade for 40 years and dealt with hundreds of garages throughout the country.:nod:

This is the first time I have recommended a garage or car sales in all that time?

If anyone is interested ask for John in the sales department and mention my name Viv [John Jag] you will be dealt with in the most delightful and courteous manner will have a great deal/car and a first class service:thumb: either New or used vehicles just have a look>Here

Looks to be some very nice cars there. Tad too much for me at the moment.

:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Will it still work if I use your name in this area, Viv? :p

Reaction score
And it's just round the corner!
Well OK a lot of corners & it's in Wales, will i need my passport for border control?:rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just a tad off the beaten path for me squire, but nice of you to post the contact :thumb:

Just out of interest most of my life I've mostly used just two MOT test places, both run by people I trust.

I've asked both of them at one time or another what's the best make of used car to buy?

Both said the make's irrelevant, other factors are more important so just use your common sense and check out the obvious.

They implied that most makes are ok if they've been looked after and well maintained.

I was quite surprised to hear that, especially from both, but I suppose they see hundreds of different vehicles every month so they should know.

Your views on that itsme?

Reaction score
nivrip said:
Will it still work if I use your name in this area, Viv? :p

Yes of the top of my head I have dealt with a few traders in your area:p :p
Mind you they were a bit tightfisted:lol:

Reaction score
feckit said:
And it's just round the corner!
Well OK a lot of corners & it's in Wales, will i need my passport for border control?:rolleyes:

No passport needed we will charge you for use of the bridge, we will let you out of Wales for nowt:lol: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> See ya>>>>>>>>

Reaction score
Up until this year i had used the same local garage for 5 years.
Every year the car needed something to pass the MoT & normally expensive.
This year i used a garage a friend uses in his village, it passed it's MoT and all was fine.
Local garage have taken me for a ride once to often, they will not get my business again!

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Just a tad off the beaten path for me squire, but nice of you to post the contact :thumb:

Just out of interest most of my life I've mostly used just two MOT test places, both run by people I trust.

I've asked both of them at one time or another what's the best make of used car to buy?

[1] Both said the make's irrelevant, other factors are more important so just use your common sense and check out the obvious.

[ 2] They implied that most makes are ok if they've been looked after and well maintained.

[3] I was quite surprised to hear that, especially from both, but I suppose they see hundreds of different vehicles every month so they should know.

Your views on that itsme?

1 Well the make is irrelevant to an extent except in exceptional circumstances IE Skoda in the past? Moskovitch EEEK :D what is important is FULL Service history that is a MUST When was the last service done check the mileage do a HPI dont take a persons word for it being done do it yourself? check the MOT history you need the current MOT number[web Gov] If the vehicle is clean INSIDE no cleaned stain RINGS, take a magnet test the body [Wrap the magnet in a hankie] so`s not to mark the paint work;) .
Make sure the engine is cold before trying it out on a test run dont inform them your turning up to try, go to the vehicle with them before they try to start? if it dont start first go FORGET it never mind anything eles walk away as one problem leads to another
nod.gif

2 Yes do your homework well maintained means the full hog not just the engine Check the body lines making sure the gaps are even between panels wheels to arches etc:
I can smell a rat if I see something that appears to be to good [doctored]

[3] I were surprised also. remember I aint done MOT`s for a number of yearsone thing I will say is in the old days a car would differ in so many ways that I did have preferences IE Austin A40 IMHO was better than a Morris 1000
nod.gif
but today with the emmisions test they have to meet the set standards I should imagine some are far better than others? So there must be GOOD and BAD ones
nod.gif

Points to look for are numerous? As with a diesel engine it SHOULD have an oil/filter change every 6K miles to keep it in tip top condition, timing belt/chain MUST be changed well before the due date?

If I have missed something let me know;)

Reaction score
feckit said:
Up until this year i had used the same local garage for 5 years.
Every year the car needed something to pass the MoT & normally expensive.
This year i used a garage a friend uses in his village, it passed it's MoT and all was fine.
Local garage have taken me for a ride once to often, they will not get my business again!

After the second test you should have twigged, did you have any advisories after each MOT?

Reaction score
itsme said:
After the second test you should have twigged, did you have any advisories after each MOT?
Each time i got told that it needed work done it get it through the MoT.
Got told last year the brake line/s needed replacing at the next MoT, not the case this time.
All was fine except one of the headlamps is chipped but did not effect the main beam.

The other garage bill's were always over £450, this year it was £192!!

I'm not an expert on cars but the guy this year seemed to offer a lot more advice.
And also said that the car was in very good condition for it's age.

Reaction score
feckit said:
Each time i got told that it needed work done it get it through the MoT.
Got told last year the brake line/s needed replacing at the next MoT, not the case this time.
All was fine except one of the headlamps is chipped but did not effect the main beam.

The other garage bill's were always over £450, this year it was £192!!

I'm not an expert on cars but the guy this year seemed to offer a lot more advice.
And also said that the car was in very good condition for it's age.

What mileage do you do a year what car you got?
it seems to me you were being ripped off.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had my ten year old Peugot 406 Estate MOT'd in readiness for a VIC test and it passed ok, only thing it needed was a new set of windscreen wipers which I was actually pleased they'd found.

I've mentioned it here before, the car's only a cheapie, I bought it last October for £1150.00, it's been fine, had an accident somebody drove into the rear nearside of me and it was written off as repair cost exceeded car's value.

The damage barely notices and I can disguise it further so it seemed silly to throw it away.

Insurance company paid me £1200.00 for it, kept my no claims bonus as the fault went against the other driver (I have protected no-claims anyway) and I bought it back for £288.00 and as mentioned it now has a full year's MOT.

To enable me to keep using it I have to book a Venicle Identification Check - it's to stop 'ringers' from write-offs - which is ongoing as we speak, I'm waiting for a reply.

The check costs £41.00 which means I'm £871.00 up on the deal as far as I can work out.

I will have to put up with a few minor dents for the car's life but as it's such a boring motor (albeit a reliable and useful one) that really doesn't bother me.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I had my ten year old Peugot 406 Estate MOT'd in readiness for a VIC test and it passed ok, only thing it needed was a new set of windscreen wipers which I was actually pleased they'd found.

I've mentioned it here before, the car's only a cheapie, I bought it last October for £1150.00, it's been fine, had an accident somebody drove into the rear nearside of me and it was written off as repair cost exceeded car's value.

The damage barely notices and I can disguise it further so it seemed silly to throw it away.

Insurance company paid me £1200.00 for it, kept my no claims bonus as the fault went against the other driver (I have protected no-claims anyway) and I bought it back for £288.00 and as mentioned it now has a full year's MOT.

To enable me to keep using it I have to book a Venicle Identification Check - it's to stop 'ringers' from write-offs - which is ongoing as we speak, I'm waiting for a reply.

The check costs £41.00 which means I'm £871.00 up on the deal as far as I can work out.

I will have to put up with a few minor dents for the car's life but as it's such a boring motor (albeit a reliable and useful one) that really doesn't bother me.
I had one they are a very reliable vehicle so hang on to it a while, if it packs up you lose nothing as it stands you in NOWT;) VIC well worth having:nod: Just check the timing belt:thumb: and good luck.....

Reaction score
My current car a vw is so reliable.
A few dents in it & it's starting to look it's age but still works ok.

I suppose the MoT does depend on who is testing it & whether something is border line gets reported/failed.

Reaction score
My alfa was written off last year when i was rear ended......me mate is a panel beater and he fixed it up and its looks better than ever and i made a few quid.....when you know someone its great cos ya dont get ripped off....there's a lot of sharks out there....its wise to be cautious when dealing with cars.
Should we start a thread where people can post pics of their motor's ??
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Should we start a thread where people can post pics of their motor's ??
Zzzzz

Up to you, if you think it's a good idea don't ask - do :)

Though IIRC we've had one already.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Up to you, if you think it's a good idea don't ask - do :)

Though IIRC we've had one already.

Probably way before my time :p I am still relatively new to PCR.....it's great.
Zzzzz

Ask a Question