London in 1927 - In Colour

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Shamelessly stolen from another forum but I think this is rather cool. :)

Incredible colour footage of 1920s London shot by an early British pioneer of film named Claude Frisse-Greene, who made a series of travelogues using the colour process his father William - a noted cinematographer - was experimenting with. It's like a beautifully dusty old postcard you'd find in a junk store, but moving.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I found that really quite touching. Sentimental old fool that I am. Loved it.

Not crowded (except for Petticoat lane); Smoky exhausts; No yellow Lines; Much hasn't changed.

I strolled around West End of London for a few hours coupla weeks ago and what surprised me was just how many memories rose up when I walked past certain places, never really realised how much time I've spent in the centre of town.

My home town, I still like it, despite the changes. I even embrace the changes (except, maybe, the congestion charge). Hey :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
What a good find V_R, it's always fascinating to look back on another era. Very poignant; we thoroughly enjoyed it too. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic what a superb piece of footage!

Enjoyed watching and listening to that..:nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That was superb. It's great to see parts of London that haven't changed in 86 years and interesting to see the parts that have. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries, sharing stuff is what makes the internet great! :D