Location Offline Files

Alexander Gouw

I have a laptop with XP pro and use the Offline Files feature frequently due
to the nature of my mobile job. I use two partitions C: and D: for C is the
system/programs drive and D my personal data. Offline Files are oftenly
generating messages that the volume C is full. Decreasing the number of
files I have made offline available isn't really an option for me. Is there
any possibility that I can change the offline files to being written to
volume D??

Thx

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Alexander said:
I have a laptop with XP pro and use the Offline Files feature frequently due
to the nature of my mobile job. I use two partitions C: and D: for C is the
system/programs drive and D my personal data. Offline Files are oftenly
generating messages that the volume C is full. Decreasing the number of
files I have made offline available isn't really an option for me. Is there
any possibility that I can change the offline files to being written to
volume D??
Hi,

To move it, you should use the tool cachemov.exe from the Win2k resource kit
(you need to buy it). Here is an applicable paragraph from MS TechNet:

Moving the Cache
The only way to safely move the hidden system folder (%systemroot%\CSC)
is by using the Offline Files Cache Mover (Cachemov.exe) tool available on
the Windows2000 Resource Kit companion CD. You can move the cache
database to another location on a fixed disk only.

How to Change the Location of Client-Side Cache in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216581

Here is a workaround if you don't have the cachemov utility:

From: Ryan Winland
Subject: Re: Changing offline files folder location on WinXP Pro
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Date: 2002-05-27 15:01:59 PST

<quote>
Hello:

The Resource Kit is not required to relocate the Client Side Cache folder.

If your Windows 2000 (or XP) partition is NTFS, try something like this:

1) Boot into Safe Mode and delete the contents of the CSC folder.

2) While still in Safe Mode, create a reparse point (junction) in the
%SystemRoot%\CSC folder and point it toward another partition or a folder in
another partition. Use the Logical Disk Manager (Computer
Management\Storage\Disk Management) to mount a partition or SysInternals
Junction
( http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/junction.html ) to
mount a folder.

This works in Windows 2000, and should in Windows XP (I haven't tested it,
however).

Hope this helps.
Ryan Winland
</quote>

Gerry Cornell

Alexander

I suggest it would be more practical to tackle your problem another way
than the way you are considering.

To investigate how you are using hard disk space you need to make sure
that you can see all files. Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options,
View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden
files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files
" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You
should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known
file types" is not checked. Next in Windows Explorer make sure View,
Details is selected and then select View, Choose Details and check
before Name, Type, Total Size, and Free Space.

How large is your hard drive? Is it partitioned? How much free space on
each drive / partition. How is the drive formatted -FAT32 or NTFS. To
get this information whilst in Windows Explorer place the cursor on the
drive, right click and select Properties.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
FCA