    --
    Thanks,
    Bryan

    Bryan, May 18, 2009

  2. Bryan

    John Mayson Guest

    On Sun, 17 May 2009, Bryan wrote:

    > I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy transferred my
    > data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to retrieve my
    > email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm unable
    > to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account. Where are
    > the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.

    Have you contacted Best Buy? You paid for the service, they should have
    done it.

    There's debate about exporting/importing your contacts. That's certainly
    one way to do it. However it should have come over with your .pst file
    assuming they were in the original. Were the contacts perhaps on your
    Exchange server?

    John

    --
    John Mayson <>
    Austin, Texas, USA

    John Mayson, May 18, 2009

  3. Are they in the contacts folder but not available when you press To or not
    in the contacts folder?

    If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
    you click on the To button, check these settings:

    Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
    click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
    the box to enable as email address book is checked?

    If this is grayed out...

    Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
    address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
    it and close and restart Outlook. If it is listed, then remove it and close
    then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.

    If you are using Outlook 2007 and the the checkbox is grayed, you'll need to
    make a new profile as you can't add the Outlook Address Book service due to
    a bug.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:
    mailto:

    mailto:

    newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], May 18, 2009
  4. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    The contacts aren't in the contacts folder. That's why I'm asking if they
    are stored in a different .pst folder that can be transferred to the new
    account I setup in Outlook. I created a new email account after reinstalling
    Outlook because that was the first popup window that came up after install.
    I then opened the 'old' .pst file and transferred all of the folders into the
    new Personal Folder of the new email account. Maybe the contacts are
    residing in the 'old' .pst file. When I attach the 'old' .pst file through
    the 'Data File Management...' menu path, I still don't see the contacts
    listed.
    --
    Thanks,
    Bryan

    Bryan, May 18, 2009
  5. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Unfortunately I've been back to Best Buy 5 times since they replaced the
    laptop. They have been absolutely no help. I've decided to attempt to
    handle the issue myself rather than wasting any more time with their Geek
    Squad. I would NEVER recommend their services to anyone!!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Thanks,
    Bryan

    Bryan, May 18, 2009
  6. press Ctrl+6 - how many contacts folders do you see?

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], May 18, 2009
  7. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    When I'm in Outlook, is that when I should presss Ctrl+6? Unfortunately I'm
    at work right now and my personal laptop is at home. What should I expect
    when I press Ctrl + 6?
    --
    Thanks,
    Bryan

    Bryan, May 18, 2009
  8. yes, press it in outlook - it opens the folder list and you can see how many
    contact folders there are and if your missing contacts are in any of them.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: