    --or could somebody possibly point me in the right direction to post in the
    correct subforum if I have posted in the wrong place

    thanks in advance..

    Eric, May 1, 2009

  2. Hi Eric,

    This might not be exactly what you want, but have you seen this?
    http://www.equinemax.com

    --
    Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
    SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

    Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
    Presenter - Microsoft Access 2007 Essentials
    http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie.html
    Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

    ----------
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx
    ----------

    Jeff Conrad [MSFT], May 1, 2009

  3. On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:55:00 -0700, Eric <>
    wrote:

    >Hi.. does anybody know if there are any access databases specifically built
    >for livestock management ? I am new to access and wondering if there is one
    >or might there be another type of template that will work.. am looking for
    >something to track the calves, sickness, selling, etc
    > --or could somebody possibly point me in the right direction to post in the
    >correct subforum if I have posted in the wrong place
    >
    > thanks in advance..

    Most of the discussion here has to do, not with prebuilt templates or
    applications, but with help in building your own from the ground up. It's sort
    of the difference between going to the lumberyard and buying a storage shed,
    or buying 2x4s, nails, shingles and so on.

    If you're interested in some 2x4's and how to use them see
    Jeff Conrad's resources page:
    http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

    The Access Web resources page:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

    A free tutorial written by Crystal (MS Access MVP):
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

    A video how-to series by Crystal:
    http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

    MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
    http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

    --

    John W. Vinson [MVP]

    John W. Vinson, May 1, 2009
  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    thanks for the responses.. I am still a newbie to access.. might there be
    some templates that are not specifically for livestock, but may work in a
    round-about way ?

    Eric, May 1, 2009
  5. Eric

    Fred Guest

    This looks like an easy application, but very specialized. My guess is that
    it would be more difficult and more work to adapt a different "template" than
    to build it from scratch.

    If you are up for investing sme time and effort in learning Access, you
    might start by reading a few of those things that the other posters
    recommended, plus post a more detailed description of waht you want to
    database and ask for help / recommendations on a table stucture foundation.

    If not, you might considere hiring a developer to make one for you, or to
    search the livestock industry for software.

    Fred, May 1, 2009
  6. Eric

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    I would take this advice one step further, and suggest that there is
    probably a lot more complication to this application than is first apparent.
    I would recommend searching for a commercial application. This seems like a
    big enough industry there must be at least a few applications available.
    Investigate carefully to be SURE it is specified as meeting all of your
    needs (don't believe promises of "easy customization") and contact at least
    a few users to see if they agree with the marketing claims. Get a demo
    version of the software and test it VERY thoroughly before purchase.

    As a custom developer, I think it's very hard (or expensive) for a custom
    system to be better than a commercial application that's being used by many
    diverse users. The commercial system developers have had the benefits of
    refining application requirements both over a longer time and with more
    users. They hopefully had more money available to invest in program
    improvements, since they were being supported by a larger user base.

    If you're doing this more for your own enjoyment and the satisfaction of
    having built your own application, that's different. But if you're purpose
    is the most cost-effective way to get an application that does a good job
    running your business, I think you should at least start with the idea of
    exhausting the commercial market before you consider building your own. You
    said you were new to Access, which puts a pretty significant learning step
    in the path. If you're also new to database design and development in
    general, then it's a very large step. Nothing wrong with doing that
    learning, but you shouldn't think it's the same as building a simple
    spreadsheet.

    Paul Shapiro, May 2, 2009
  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Thanks for the replies and advice.. I will look more into some of the
    commercial programs
    Eric

    Eric, May 2, 2009
  8. Eric

    millersl

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    USA
    HI,
    I've programmed one in Access with much VB for use with RFID systems, etc.. What are you trying to do? I have a vested interest in preserving the intellectual properties of my system, but maybe I can help. In the process of rebuilding it as a web ap bovinetracker.com

    millersl, Apr 30, 2012