List of LCD panel types used for models of monitors?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Lou, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Lou

    Lou Guest

    I read some articles and reviews of LCD monitors and most of them say that
    there is not really and one type LCD that is best in all areas of
    performance (response time, color, contrast, viewing angle etc.). The LCD
    panel type (TN+Film, S-IPS, MVA and PVA) really make the difference in
    weather the monitor is best for certain uses.
    The adds at retailer sites or specs at monitor web sites do not give the
    information on what type panel they use. Sometimes the reviews for monitors
    say what type of panel they use, but I cant find reviews of all monitors.
    Is there a list somewhere with most of the popular consumer LCD monitors and
    the type of panels they use?

    Thanks,
    Lou

    Lou, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Lou

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Lou" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I read some articles and reviews of LCD monitors and most of them say that
    > there is not really and one type LCD that is best in all areas of
    > performance (response time, color, contrast, viewing angle etc.).

    While this is true in terms of "absolute best" (at least in a
    numerical sense, in some cases), the more advanced LC
    modes (the various IPS and VA types, currently) produce
    panels which are at least very, very competitive with one
    another. And just as soon as you've declared one of those
    to be the "best" in terms of any given performance parameter,
    those producing the other type will likely come up with yet
    another twist on THAT type which puts it ahead again. So
    it's pretty dangerous to say that "IPS" or "VA" or whatever
    is "best" and expect that to hold up for all time. The best
    you can ever hope to do is to compare specific implementations
    on particular performance points.

    Bob M.

    Bob Myers, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Lou

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Lou" <> wrote in message

    > I read the info on LCD's at X-bit's Guide: Contemporary LCD Monitor
    > Parameters and Characteristics
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html ) and it

    lead
    > me to believe that the four types of panels commonly used have
    > distinguishing features and performance that will not change much because

    of
    > their design.. That is the TN is best for response time, the IPS is a bit
    > slower, has a bit better image , and angle of view, the MVA and PVA are
    > slowest but have the best image, angle of view.

    The viewing angle between the IPS and VA types is today
    very comparable - and specified viewing angles may not give
    you apples-to-apples comparable numbers, anyway. I would
    definitely question the assertion that either IPS or VA has a
    "better image" - it again depends on just what you mean by
    "better," and definitely on the specific type and model in question.
    The assertion that TN has a better response time is, at this point,
    just plain wrong, since more development has been done in this
    area with respect to the IPS and VA types than has been the
    case for TN. (Actually, some of the best response times being
    claimed today are not from any of these, but from a type not
    yet mentioned here - and not yet commercially available in
    monitor panels - the OCB mode.)

    Bob M.

    Bob Myers, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Lou

    Lou Guest

    "Bob Myers" <> wrote in message

    .. ...........So it's pretty dangerous to say that "IPS" or "VA" or whatever
    > is "best" and expect that to hold up for all time. The best
    > you can ever hope to do is to compare specific implementations
    > on particular performance points.
    >
    > Bob M.

    I read the info on LCD's at X-bit's Guide: Contemporary LCD Monitor
    Parameters and Characteristics
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html ) and it lead
    me to believe that the four types of panels commonly used have
    distinguishing features and performance that will not change much because of
    their design.. That is the TN is best for response time, the IPS is a bit
    slower, has a bit better image , and angle of view, the MVA and PVA are
    slowest but have the best image, angle of view.
    I am just trying to have a better way of comparing different brand monitors
    that may be using the same panel, so maybe what I really need is info on
    what the actual make/model number of the panels used for different brands of
    LCD's.

    The local retail stores have a limited amount of LCD monitors on display to
    try out and you cant always try everything on them. One monitor that I was
    able to look at a store was the Viewsonic V201s 20.1" (IPS panel I believe)
    and it seemed to be best for my needs when comparing it to other LCD's at
    the store. I then saw some other monitors for online by other brands (Dell,
    and Philips) and they had very similar specifications. That would lead me to
    believe that they all have the same model LCD panel but I am not sure. Some
    of the other monitors also have other features like picture in picture (I
    think on the Dell). So if the other monitors use the same model panel, then
    I figured they would have about the same performance and image.
    I guess what I would like to know is if there is a way to find out for sure
    what monitor uses what model LCD panel.

    Lou

    Lou, Mar 7, 2005