Linux Mint V6.0

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I originally posted this within Abarbarian's Mandriva thread so for good manners I've deleted the last few posts on that thread to keep it on topic and have started this thread.

Linux Mint 6 is based on Ubuntu's 'Intrepid' uses Gnome as a desktop and is a 32 Bit OS. It takes up just one CD and has a package manager installed so you can install any extra software from the repository.

It was the smoothest and most painless installation of any Linux Distro I have ever tried.

This is the system I installed it to:

Asus M2N sli Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athlon AM2 XP6400+ 3.2Ghz dual core CPU
Noctua NH-U12F CPU Cooler with 2 x 120mm fans
2Gb Corsair XMS DDR2 6400C5 memory
BFG Nvidia 8800GTS 640Mb Video card
Creative Audio X-Fi Sound Card
Sata II Caddies For Primary drive x 3 housing:
250Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk (Win XP)
160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Disk (Linux Mint V6.0)
160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Disk (Earmarked for another distro)
Storage Hard Disks:
320Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk
750Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk
Western Digital 120Gb Hard Disks x 2
Pinnacle Analogue PCI TV Tuner Card
Dazzle Platinum USB Video/Audio interface breakout box
Antec Sonata Case
Corsair 650W Non Modular PSU
Plextor 800A 18 x DVDRW PATA
Asus DVD-ROM PATA
A Floppy Drive
Logitech corded G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech flat compact keyboard, corded
Samsung 22” 2232BW Glossy Black Pebble Monitor
Logitech 2.1 Loudspeaker system
HP Photosmart 7960 Inkjet Printer

And here's the post I split off from Abarb's thread:

After having a long think I decided to download and burn the Mint 6 RC1 CD and abandon Mint 5. I have just installed it.

So far, everything I have tried works. It recognised my network and I was online in about 60 seconds. It prompted me for auto download and installation of Nvidia V177 drivers which I did, needed a reboot for that.

It also recognised my printer straight away, I didn't have to manually load drivers, it also told me I was low on ink.

And it plays audio CD's and DVD's straight out of the box.

I went through what they call 'Mintinstall update which basically gave me a big list of things I can install. So far I've installed a Firefox enhancment package, not sure what it actually does yet; Irfanview; Picassa; Audacity; an FTP Program; an fps game called Open Arena and am currently installing Alien Arena.

Mint 6 RC1 is a beta but Mint say it's stable. All that needs to be done, apparently, is install a graphics update package but although I can find the link for the package at Ubuntu, it doesn't seem to be on any of the Mirrors.

The official release of Mint 6 is tomorrow (Monday).

There's only one version available, I'm assuming it's 32 Bit or does one size fit all, so to speak, 32 and 64 bit?

Well, I can honestly say that was a piece of cake and so far it looks good, it's fast and the things I've tried work.

Not exactly learning a lot though am I? No pleasing some folk is there?

Will attempt to load UT2004 at some stage and see how the graphics look.

Abarbarian had replied within his own thread but unfortunately I rather cocked up the editing when splitting the thread (blame Guinness and the late hour) and lost his reply :blush: But basically he confirmed this version is 32 Bit.

And if you see this you Viking type, you, please post those links to the games again, thank you :)

I am having trouble atm loading UT2004, I have found out I need to install gtk+ 1.2.x to enable the UT2004 installer to work. But I can't find it in the package manager so I'm kinda stuck. It's late now, I shall come back to this tomorrow.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I am having trouble atm loading UT2004, I have found out I need to install gtk+ 1.2.x to enable the UT2004 installer to work. But I can't find it in the package manager so I'm kinda stuck. It's late now, I shall come back to this tomorrow.

Methinks the "magic" package is called libgtk1.2

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I originally posted this within Abarbarian's Mandriva thread so for good manners I've deleted the last few posts on that thread to keep it on topic and have started this thread.

Damned decent of you old chap.
nod.gif
Mind you the thread was doomed from page 2
laughingsmiley.gif

I did load up Warsow and get on line to play but could not find anyone to play with. I have never played on-line before but it seemed to connect ok. The game looks pretty neat.

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2371

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+Warsow

Never played Prey but here is a link to a free demo. I think it is a more modern game.

http://icculus.org/prey/

Never heard of this before but it is totally free so may be worth a looksee.

http://savage2.s2games.com/download.php

Keep posting about your experiences with Mint along with any how to's on any tricky bits, as it sounds well worth a look.

Did you know that after 6 pints of Guinness you can not tell the difference between a penguin and a pint glass of Guinness till you try to pick one up.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was going to post from my linux machine but I just got back from the pub so this will have to do.

I sussed the package Urmas pointed out, installed it and UT2004 is installed and working well now.

I have Prey, not sure if it's Linux Compatible, we shall see.

However, already played it through once, it's ok, but nothing outstanding.

Seriously, and I hate to say this, you want best games, get Windows PC, X-Box or PS3. No contest.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had a look at the Prey disk and there's no Linux Installer on it so I would assume it's not compatible, I'll have to look into it.

The pic below - grabbed with Gimp - shows how UT2004 wouldn't install without the above mentioned package installed.

During the install of UT2004 I omitted to select 'show game in menu' so to start it I have to open a terminal and type in 'UT2004'. That works ok but I'd rather have had the shortcut so I'm wondering if I reinstall I may be able to enable it|?

I also have patches and lots of extra maps for UT2004, have to figure out how to install them within Linux.

Also have to figure out how to set up my e-mail.

This is easily the best Distro I've ever tried, so far it's been really quite easy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ut2004_001.jpg
    ut2004_001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 622

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That works ok but I'd rather have had the shortcut so I'm wondering if I reinstall I may be able to enable it?
NO NEED TO REINSTALL THE GAME!!! If Mint's start menu works anything like the "standard one" in Ubuntu... RIGHT CLICK on the start menu icon on the panel, choose "edit menus". From there you can add/delete/modify menu entries.

Also have to figure out how to set up my e-mail.
First thing, you've got to decide whether to use Evolution or T-bird (the two most "obvious" choices). Evolution's got a fairly decent wizard.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That Prey link I gave is for the linux version. ;)

This may help with the shortcut. As far as I know once you have a item in the menue you can drag and drop to the desktop to create a shortcut. Don't quote me on that though.Look at the last post.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=14208&p=88096&hilit=create+shortcut#p88096

This thread had some very interesting stuff on PARTITIONING, including something to do with gaming. It is quite long but worth reading from the start an you can skip the bits that are just junk.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

It also gives you a looksee at the Mint forums which I must say seem to be very informative.

Now if only I could get back on-line with Edubuntu :(

Your right Windows games are much better than Linux ones at the moment. However it will be a good thing to break Microsofts monopolistic grip on gaming. Choice in life is a good thing.

Penguins I'd rather eat one than play with one.
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just installed this now to give it a go, it's just running MintUpdate to get the latest package updates :) All 169 of them :eek:

I'll post back here once I've had a proper play with Mint!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have Prey installed now, an install facility has to be downloaded from Here

You make the file executable by right clicking it >> Permissions >> 'Make file executable'.

I put the Prey DVD in, followed the instructions and it installed perfectly, even adding a shortcut to the Games start menu.

I'm playing it at medium texture settings and 1280 x 1024 and it looks good :thumb:

I didn't install Punkbuster though as I won't be playing Prey online.

If anybody else wants to play Prey in Linux the game is quite cheap now, I've seen it going for a fiver both online and in High Street shops.

I have found out how to patch UT2004 but am having a problem finding the UT2004 directory, basically, I can't find it :D

Strange. I installed it as root but it's not in usr or root and I've looked everywhere, this one eludes me for the moment but I shall come back to it.

Now I'm going to attempt to set up e-mail I think.

Abarb, thanks for those links, I'll come back to that.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now have my four e-mail accounts setup, all were painless except for G-Mail which took a little bit of brainpower, but not much.

I went with Thunderbird, seems ok to me and I've been used to using Outlook 2003.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Wow there is no stoppnig you when you get the bit between your teeth.

I might treat meself to Prey as you have it running ok with out a hitch.

Penguins pefectly playable.

:D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I have found out how to patch UT2004 but am having a problem finding the UT2004 directory, basically, I can't find it :D
An uneducated guess:

Install files:
Code:
/usr/local/games/enemy-territory/

User files - Googled a bit; this might be outdated:
Code:
/home/YOURUSERNAME/.etwolf

Note the "point" in front of "etwolf"; it'll keep files/folders hidden UNLESS you tell the file manager to show hidden files.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas, that done the trick, it was hidden.

cd /home/tony/.ut2004 got me into it.

I have now learnt that '.' means 'show', learning something every day :)

And enabling 'Show hidden files' from 'View' within 'File System' shows the ut2004 directory in tree form.

I will attempt to patch the game, add maps and put a short cut into the games menu later today.

Ask a Question