Linux Mint 8 "Helena"

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

You need not reinstall Mint if the distro is updated it will give you the choice and you can elect to upgrade or just update, the choice is your so the answer to your question is a firm NO.

As for Opera, I do not use it but from my experience when you install any new browser it will import your settings from other browsers and that is an option given when you first start to use the browser. I did install Opera once but did not like it the way it is, maybe because I am very much used to Firefox. Another thing to note is the extention of the bookmarks, if what you have is html, almost any browser will be able to use those bookmarks so check that out.

I would suggest you update the distro and go to Opera website and install it from there, Linux is now more user friendly it will give you a choice to either save or to run it with the package software and you should be good to go.

I hope all works out for you.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Okey doke Quad, I'll start Mint in the morning (it's 2.12am now, damn, I need some work, lol) and see what options it offers.

Opera stores it's bookmarks with a file extension other than HTML and that is where the problem lies, I think, the transfer needs dedicated software I suspect.

I will also d/l Opera and open it within Mint and see what occurs but I am a little nervous about that, have to admit.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
In Opera, use the "export in HTML" option. Grab the bookmarks.html file and move it to your mintputer. In Firefox, use the "Import HTML" option.

Works. Tested.

Installing Opera, Plan B (dunno why Plan A doesn't work in Mint, though...):

Download the default [.deb] package for Mint from here:
http://www.opera.com/download/

Double click to install.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
In Opera, use the "export in HTML" option. Grab the bookmarks.html file and move it to your mintputer. In Firefox, use the "Import HTML" option.

Works. Tested.

Installing Opera, Plan B (dunno why Plan A doesn't work in Mint, though...):

Download the default [.deb] package for Mint from here:
http://www.opera.com/download/

Double click to install.

happywave.gif

It really was that simple :blush:

Thanks Urmas.

I exported/imported the bookmarks in HTML form as suggested. What I hadn't realised was how to export the HTML file from Opera.

So now all my links are in the Firefox bookmarks in a folder named 'Opera'.

I haven't installed the Opera browser within Mint but I may do. I keep trying to get to grips with Firefox but the truth is I've never been keen on it.

Also applied all latest updates and no obvious indications of kernel upgrade.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

A. Introduction

This tutorial explains how to upgrade to a newer release of Linux Mint.

B. General considerations

B1. Do you need to upgrade?

If things are working fine and you're happy with your current system, then you don't need to upgrade.

A new version of Linux Mint is released every 6 months. It usually comes with new features and improvements but there's nothing wrong with sticking with the release you already have. In fact, you could skip many releases and stick with the version that works for you.

Each release receives bug fixes and security updates for about 18 months (or 3 years in the case of "Long Term Support" releases such as Linux Mint 5 or Linux Mint 9). The development team is also focused on the latest release. If bug fixes and security updates are important to you, you should regularly upgrade to the latest releases, otherwise there's nothing wrong with keeping things as they are.

As a general rule... unless you need to, or unless you really want to, there's no reason for you to upgrade.

Mind you if you had used a great distro like Mandriva then you would only need to click on the "upgrade" button to get the latest version. still linux or should that be Ubuntu is for folks who like to tinker.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Current version of Mint is fine.

Mandrake is, and has always been, flawed. And good grief we're now not only getting elitist about Linux vs Windows but also between different Linux distros.

There is no hope for some folk, they were actually born wearing a T-Shirt proclaiming 'nerd' ;)

I installed Opera - blessed relief from the nasty nasty Firefox ;)

I downloaded Opera from Urmas' link but I did get a prompt when installing telling me a better path was available for install from the repository. But that didn't work, did it, so I just carried on installing from the downloaded folder or tar, I suppose I best call it now ;)

Ya see, nowt is perfect when it comes to OS's.

Thanks be to Quad, Urmas & The barbaric one :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Mind you if you had used a great distro like Mandriva then you would only need to click on the "upgrade" button to get the latest version.

:D

Psst! Abarbiturate! Every Debian based distro has had the upgrade feature since day one... first, used from command line – # apt-get dist-upgrade – and, later [since 2005, thereabouts] "through" a GUI wizard "bolted into" the update manager:

distupgrade.png

"New distribution release is available"

@Flopps:

That message you got is a standard GDebi [package installer] message à la "Are You Sure?" It informs you whenever a package you have downloaded and are installing is available in repositories (older version, same version, newer version, no matter). And, in this case – since you KNOW that the package in repos is misbehaving – your reply should be, "golly gee, thank you for reminding me, but let's install THIS (.deb) package. Now."

urmas_1.01_i386.deb
happywave.gif

Ask a Question