Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Goody. Urmas needs his beauty sleep.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Wine Doors looks like your best bet, ie: simplest solution. Haven't used it me self but it has been around for a few years and is still going strong. Only ever used Wine for one program that allowed me to read and print some text attachments in an e-mail.

happywave.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Wine Doors looks like your best bet, ie: simplest solution. Haven't used it me self but it has been around for a few years and is still going strong. Only ever used Wine for one program that allowed me to read and print some text attachments in an e-mail.

happywave.gif

Thanks for the comment, now I know I won't be wasting me time if I experiment with it :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have been messin' with helena again this evening and have just a quickie question.

What do I use to convert WAV & cda files to mp3?

Any programs loaded by default? Cos I can't see any. Anything in the repository?

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

What the madman says.
laughingsmiley.gif

If k3b complains about missing codecs (or bad weather), make sure - by using Synaptic's search option, for example - that the following packages are installed:

libk3b6-extracodecs

libmad0
libmp3lame0

(The first package is absolutely vital.)

If you are looking for a "standalone conversion program", there is one called "SoundKonverter" – a KDE application, and it has a Gnomie brother:

SoundConverter

Both can be installed from repos.

overlord59djtuxmixplati.png

DJ Urmas
happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Don't know why you is embarrassed old bean. If you don't know sumat then all it means is you don't know sumat.

I learnt that there is a stand alone converter and that the extra codecs are pretty essential from the gurus reply
bowdown.gif
an he is right I am mad
nod.gif
I should have spotted me own spelling mistake K3b not K3B :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://maketecheasier.com/convert-flac-to-mp3-easily-with-soundconverter/2008/10/22

"SoundConverter is an application for GNOME that can take in most audio format (Ogg Vorbis, AAC, MP3, FLAC, WAV, AVI, MPEG, MOV, M4A, AC3, DTS, ALAC, MPC, Shorten, APE, SID, etc…) and convert them to WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC and Ogg Vorbis format."

Doubt if you will need this guide flops. Came across it by chance so posted it anyway.

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just burnt my first CD using K3b from 12 FLAC files.

Also d/l and applied latest updates.

I am liking this here Distro muchly muchly.

Next step is to transfer copy of work files, finances, invoices etc and see how well I can cope using Open Office.

I have been saying for years that when a Distro is compiled and released that is as easy to use as Windows then I'll use it.

This may very well be that Distro :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Now that you have become a penguin lover as a business person you will no doubt be applying for a penguin card to help out the community.
nod.gif

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-fund-brings-spend-and-support-model-uk

"Last July, the Linux Foundation hit on the bright idea of combining many geeks' favorite activities — supporting Linux and buying geek gear — with a Tux-themed Visa Card that donates back to Open Source advocacy. The Linux Fund has been offering their own card since 2007, and as of Friday, is extending the opportunity to the UK."

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Penguin lover?

Pot roasted, marinated and grilled or slow-cooked with some juniper berries and pigs trotters?

Any organisation that gives me a credit card needs their bumps feeling :lol:

Reaction score
Just installed Mint 8 on my DX2200. Just because I can.
Looks nice but I have a problem waking the PC up from hibernation. PC seems to come to life but the monitor has no signal. I'm guessing it's some sort of driver issue.
Looking about on the web many people seem to be having the same problems.

Not a biggy for me as I am just playing about at the moment. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Mint 9 looks very promising, anyone tested it yet?

Ah, now this is where the confusion sets in. I have asked previoulsy here if the publication of an updated Distro means a complete reinstall with all the inconvenience that entails with any operating system.

I was assured that Linux Distros will auto-update.

So does that mean that at some stage my kernel for Mint 8 Helena will be updated via the auto-update facility?

I've been using Mint a great deal which pleases me but do have one problem. I want to install the Opera Browser but when I attempt to install it (from the repositry ) it just won't, it craps out with an error message.

I don't know how to do a straightforward download/install to Linux from the Opera site so that leaves me pretty much flummoxed.

I have saved my Opera bookmarks file within MS Windows and attempted to install that into Firefox within Linux Mint with no success.

I'm not bothered about actually having Opera installed, I just want to access the Opera bookmarks within Linux Mint.

So, if anybody has a solution, I'm all ears :)

Ask a Question