Windows XP Links icon on desk top??

Reaction score
Dear experts,

When I re-installed my OS (XP 2 pack) I somehow had a small, handy icon on the bottom of my screen (on the task bar) that said: links (which I didn't have before). But when I got my computer back from HP where they once again re-installed my OS (they said they had to re-engineer due to my 'low or limited local connectivity' problem-read loose connection I'll bet!) I no longer had that icon and for the life of me do not remember how I got it the first time-it was probably quite by accident while exploring some file or feature.

Can anyone tell me where to find that and install it again?

Kindest regards,
Linda

Reaction score
I think you are taking about a Desktop shortcut.

Take into account you need to know where the program is located to do this!

1 Easy goto to the piece of software you want to link to your Desktop.

2 Right click on the Executable for that program so a menu appears on the screen

example: Start/Programs/Accessories/notepad

3 Click on 'Send to' and then click on 'Desktop (create shortcut)'

OK?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your suggestion TriplexDread, however. it wasn't simply a short cut (i.e. where you click on a program or file and drag and drop or 'send to desktop', it was an actual icon on the bottom of my screen next to other icons on the task bar such as, in my case, the wireless, Norton, and speech tools icon and when I clicked on it, it would open and I could drag and drop URL links into or any other link to a program or file.
Linda

Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean. It is pretty much the same thing.

Simply do what I suggested earlier, then when you have your shortcut of the program you want simply drag it into the quick launch bar as you said in the bottom left corner ;)

That should sort you out

Let us knw

Reaction score
Well, I had tried that too, darn it! But after I tried to drag and drop, for example, IE or Word (which were already short cuts) into it (at least it looked like that was what I was doing), and then click on quick launch to see if it was there, it just reads 'default' and nothing else. Since HP re-installed, there have been a few little quirks, but ones easily solved (they have to be for me!), this one I just don't understand.
Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi Linda, try this,
Right click in the middle of the start menu, click toolbars, then click on links, I think thats what you were looking for.

Have a nice day.

Reaction score
Links

Wolfgang said:
Hi Linda, try this,
Right click in the middle of the start menu, click toolbars, then click on links, I think thats what you were looking for.

Have a nice day.

Thank you so much Joseph. However, when I do that I (finally) get Taskbar not toolbar and when I have tried to dragged and dropped links, I get my favorites! But it was very kind of you to help. It really isn't that important, it was just very handy for direct access to e-mails and whatnot when I was in other programs. One of these days I'll be bored (or procrasting my thesis), start looking around at what's on my computer and find it again.

Do take care (I'm concerned that you are in Beirut),
Linda

Reaction score
Hi again Linda, first i want to thank you for what you wrote, 2nd , try this, right click on the taskbar, remove the tick from lock the taskbar, drag the link toolbar to the top of the screen. This one should work.
N.B: No window should be opened while dragging.
:)
Take care.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Links

Wolfgang said:
Hi again Linda, first i want to thank you for what you wrote, 2nd , try this, right click on the taskbar, remove the tick from lock the taskbar, drag the link toolbar to the top of the screen. This one should work.
N.B: No window should be opened while dragging.
:)
Take care.

Hey Wolfgang, that worked! You're a winner. Thank you so much!!
Take care,
Linda

Ask a Question