Link bar linking to a SubWeb? Items not showing up

M

Mr B

Howdy.

I have a link bar I created to go to certain pages within my site. For some reason, any of the
links I setup in the bar that go inside a wubweb of the current web don't show up.

Example.

In my main web I have a subweb called SHOW and one called MENU.

In my Link Bar I link to 3 files in my main web's root folder, 1 file in a different sub folder, and
2 files in the SHOW subweb.

When I view the page, the only links that show up are the first 4. The 2 going into the SHOW subweb
just don't show up.

Is that not allowed or something?

FP2002.

Thanks,
--Mike

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Remove the existing links and Create all links to subwebs as external links in Nav View (right click a page to add an external link)

--

| Howdy.
|
| I have a link bar I created to go to certain pages within my site. For some reason, any of the
| links I setup in the bar that go inside a wubweb of the current web don't show up.
|
| Example.
|
| In my main web I have a subweb called SHOW and one called MENU.
|
| In my Link Bar I link to 3 files in my main web's root folder, 1 file in a different sub folder, and
| 2 files in the SHOW subweb.
|
| When I view the page, the only links that show up are the first 4. The 2 going into the SHOW subweb
| just don't show up.
|
| Is that not allowed or something?
|
| FP2002.
|
| Thanks,
| --Mike

M

Mr B

I'm not setting up the Navigation bar through the Navigation view structure. I'm doing it via the:
Insert / Web Component / Link Bars / Bar with Custom Links

That allows me to manually select any page or folder I have and will create a lnk to it. When I
view the actual page I'm creating the links on, I see all the links I've entered. But then when I
have that links page Included onto another page, that page only shows the links that reside within
the current web and not any of the subwebs.

M

Mr B

UPDATE
Well, haven't fixed the problem but this is interesting...

Originally I have my links.htm page (which just has the custom navigation bar on it) in the _borders
folder because it is being Included onto my top shared border. That was causing some links to not
show up. I moved the links.htm page out into the root folder instead and that made all the lnks
show up when I'm in FP in the Normal View.

However when I actually view the page in my browser viewing it locally, it still doesn't show the
links to the one within the subweb. It does show links to sub folders, just not subwebs.

I won't be able to publish it until tonight though to have everyone see it...

M

Mr B

So is this supposed to work or is it something that is broken? The Link Bar looks normal when I
view it in FP but doesn't show the links to the Subweb when I actually view the page...

T

Tom Pepper Willett

M

Mr B

I replied to the original.. Figured everyone could see it since I can still see it...

But here goes...

PART 1
Howdy.

I have a link bar I created to go to certain pages within my site. For some reason, any of the
links I setup in the bar that go inside a wubweb of the current web don't show up.

Example.

In my main web I have a subweb called SHOW.

In my Link Bar I link to 1 file in my main web's root folder, 1 file in a different sub folder (not
subweb), and 1 files in the SHOW subweb.

When I view the page in FP by INCLUDING the Link Bar page, the only links that show up are the first
2. The 1 going into the SHOW subweb just don't show up.

Is linking to a subweb not allowed or something?

PART 2
UPDATE

Originally I have my links.htm page (which just has the custom navigation bar on it) in the _borders
folder because it is being Included onto my top shared border. That was causing some links to not
show up. I moved the links.htm page out into the root folder instead and that made all the lnks

However when I actually view the page in my browser viewing it locally, it still doesn't show the
link to the one within the subweb. It does show link to sub folder, just not subweb.

PART3
LATEST UPDATE

Here's a link to how I see this within FP:
http://www.gmar.ws/images/event.jpg

Here's a link to the same actual page. Notice that the link in the Nav Bar for the Spring Show
isn't there...

http://www.gmar.ws/event.htm

Any ideas?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Many of us do not keep read message (Outlook Express).

--

==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Mr B said:
I replied to the original.. Figured everyone could see it since I can still see it...

But here goes...

PART 1
Howdy.

Example.

In my main web I have a subweb called SHOW.

In my Link Bar I link to 1 file in my main web's root folder, 1 file in a different sub folder (not
subweb), and 1 files in the SHOW subweb.

When I view the page in FP by INCLUDING the Link Bar page, the only links that show up are the first
2. The 1 going into the SHOW subweb just don't show up.

Is linking to a subweb not allowed or something?

PART 2
UPDATE

link to the one within the subweb. It does show link to sub folder, just not subweb.

PART3
LATEST UPDATE

Here's a link to how I see this within FP:
http://www.gmar.ws/images/event.jpg

Here's a link to the same actual page. Notice that the link in the Nav Bar for the Spring Show
isn't there...

http://www.gmar.ws/event.htm

Any ideas?

M

Mr B

So do you have any suggestions on why this isn't working?

The "Store" link goes to www.gmar.ws/store
The "Spring Show" link goes to www.gmar.ws/springshow

Only difference is "springshow" is a subweb and "store" isn't.

Many of us do not keep read message (Outlook Express).

--

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

MS KB Quick Links, etc.
To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

T

Thomas A. Rowe

In the subweb, you need to create a separate Link bar with absolute link
back to the root web. From the root web you need to create absolute link to
the subweb content.

--

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Mr B said:
So do you have any suggestions on why this isn't working?

The "Store" link goes to www.gmar.ws/store
The "Spring Show" link goes to www.gmar.ws/springshow

Only difference is "springshow" is a subweb and "store" isn't.

M

Mr B

Thanks. I found a reply of yours to a similar question asked by someone else and gave it a try and
it worked.

Woo Hoo.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Did I reply with the same solution?
--

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Mr B said:
Thanks. I found a reply of yours to a similar question asked by someone else and gave it a try and
it worked.

Woo Hoo.

M

Mr B

Think so yeah. Just had to hard-code the address instead of selecting it through the Explorer type
window.

Ask a Question