    I can't figure out how to paste a chart (with data I guess) into another
    Excel file so that it's linked. I'm doing it in Excel 2000. Can anyone
    help? thanks.

    Guest, Oct 10, 2006

    Hi Andy:
    I dont have XL2000 (but 2003). You can Copy and "Paste Special" [select:
    Paste as Link] from Excel to Word, and likewise from Word to Excel, but not
    from Excel workbook A to Excel workbook B weirdly enough. However, I tested
    it by copying and pasting as link the chart from Excel to Word and then from
    Word to a new Excel workbook (again copy/paste special, selecting "paste as
    link"). Now if I change the numbers in my first Excel sheet, the chart
    updates in BOTH Excel workbooks, amazingly (and also in Word, but who cares).
    So I guess it's worth to try this workaround in Excel 2000.
    HTH,
    GL,
    Henk

    Guest, Oct 10, 2006

    Jon Peltier Guest

    Copy the chart from one workbook, paste it into the other, and it will
    remain linked to the original workbook.

    If you mean, how do you link it to the new workbook, here's what I answered
    to a post from a couple days ago:

    Re: Can a copy of a chart remain "live"

    The charts are live, but they are still linked to the original data. You
    could go through the Source Data dialog (Chart menu) to update the links to
    the new data, but if the data sheets have the same layout, it is easier to
    copy the whole sheet, including data and chart. This way, the chart is
    linked to the data on its sheet. Then paste new data over the old and the
    chart will update accordingly.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP