    software but again only as 4X3.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Ray Edmonton AB

    rmw44, Feb 9, 2010

  2. rmw44

    Paul Guest

    rmw44 wrote:
    > I have v3.0 of the camera software and can use Moviemaker to create video OK
    > but that only shows 4X3 format and I bought this unit for 16X9 format and
    > would really like to have that feature. Camera also visible using Skype
    > software but again only as 4X3.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Ray Edmonton AB

    http://www.everythingusb.com/microsoft-lifecam-cinema-17329.html

    "Shaking up Skype in HD

    To get started, you'll need to download an old version of Skype that doesn't
    enforce artificial limits on resolutions and framerates. As it stands, the current
    Skype beta (v4.2.0.141) locks video to 640x480 at 30fps in 4:3 while the latest
    stable client (v4.1.0.179) simply doesn't work. I've had the most success with
    v4.0.0.226, and v4.1.0.166, both of which handle widescreen resolutions under
    Windows XP and Windows 7 without complaint. Next you'll need to edit Skype's
    config.xml under your user profile. SkypeGarage has easy instructions on how to
    do this, though you can safely ignore the part about installing FFDShow - just
    edit the config file. Huzzah! You've just enabled widescreen video calls."

    "720p @ 30fps (?)

    It's unfortunate, then, that many users will find themselves sorely disappointed
    when they find out the LifeCam Cinema is limited to 720p at a mere 15 frames per
    second if the LifeCam drivers are installed...

    You'll need special 3rd party software such as the $30 AMCAP utility in
    order to do so..."

    As far as I know, AMCAP started life as a Microsoft sample application, perhaps
    bundled in one of their DDKs. People have used that code, to build various
    capture applications, and it would be an unfortunate choice to name an
    application AMCAP and charge $30 for it. I think I got a copy of AMCAP bundled
    with my Hauppauge WinTV capture card years ago. So there may be other
    versions of the code floating around. Microsoft has probably improved the
    code sample over the years, as new OSes are introduced.

    (BTW - don't waste your time trying to trace down the source of the one mentioned
    here. AMCAP was moved from being a DirectShow sample, to some other DDK, and I
    got sick of downloading DDKs, only to find the sample wasn't there.)

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd373424(VS.85).aspx

    All you can really depend on, with high res web cams, is 640x480. Once the
    resolution goes higher than that, the frame rate may suffer. Or there may be
    no software interface, to set the intended resolution choice. For example, my
    Logitech webcam has encoded in hardware, that it is not to deliver frames at faster
    than 5 FPS, at the max hardware resolution (i.e. useless). Since there is mention of
    MJPEG compression with your camera, maybe it can do better.

    I find 640x480 is the best "no compromises" setting, and have given up
    on using the capabilities "stated on the tin". I got most of my hardware
    information, by using Linux, and that is where I learned about the
    table of resolution versus frame rates set in the hardware. I was
    less able in Windows, to learn about my hardware. Linux made it more
    obvious, as to what the hardware was designed to deliver. If I use
    640x480, I get full frame rate.

    High end webcams are a $100 exercise in frustration :) Enjoy.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 9, 2010