    anything other than Windows XP.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Tom Carr

    Tom Carr, Mar 30, 2004

  2. Tom Carr

    Jetro Guest

    Do not buy the retail laptops with OS preinstalled.

    Jetro, Apr 1, 2004

  3. On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 04:56:41 -0800, "Tom Carr" <>
    wrote:

    >In my business (fire alarm system installation and
    >servicing), I need to use a legacy serial port to connect
    >to fire alarm panels for programming. There seems to be
    >some problem in the handling of serial ports in Windows XP.
    >
    >I have had to "downgrade" some of my laptops to Windows 98
    >to retain proper serial port operation. I have also been
    >told by others that there is no probem in Windows 2000.
    >
    >This is becoming more of a problem as I have to replace
    >older laptops - it is difficult to find machines with
    >anything other than Windows XP.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Its a problem due to way programs access the ports. Older programs
    will access the port "directly" by-passing the Operating System.
    Windows XP will not allow that, you need to re-write the program so it
    will use OS routines to access the port!

    Peter Hutchison
    Windows FAQ
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

    Peter Hutchison, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Tom Carr

    Si Ballenger Guest

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:34:50 +0100, Peter Hutchison
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 04:56:41 -0800, "Tom Carr" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In my business (fire alarm system installation and
    >>servicing), I need to use a legacy serial port to connect
    >>to fire alarm panels for programming. There seems to be
    >>some problem in the handling of serial ports in Windows XP.
    >>
    >>I have had to "downgrade" some of my laptops to Windows 98
    >>to retain proper serial port operation. I have also been
    >>told by others that there is no probem in Windows 2000.
    >>
    >>This is becoming more of a problem as I have to replace
    >>older laptops - it is difficult to find machines with
    >>anything other than Windows XP.
    >>
    >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    >Its a problem due to way programs access the ports. Older programs
    >will access the port "directly" by-passing the Operating System.
    >Windows XP will not allow that, you need to re-write the program so it
    >will use OS routines to access the port!

    Do a google search for a file called userport.zip. Userport is a
    kernal mode driver that will allow user level acces to the
    hardware on NT/2K/XP machines. I use this for input and output
    via the parallel port on my XP machine. It may not help with
    serial port communications. Older serial port programs use calls
    to the hardware that are supported in 98 and 2K, but XP does not
    support these routines. You are also going to start having
    problems finding laptops with built in serial ports, and will
    probably have to drop back to the USB to serial gizmos..

    Si Ballenger, Apr 11, 2004