Learning to code - good online resources?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I have decided to learn how to code, with the aim of becoming a developer. I have only basic knowledge, so I'm starting right from the very beginning with HTML/CSS and will progress from that to PHP. Once I've done that I'll decide where to go from there!

I've been looking for some good online resources - ideally free ones - but there are so many I'm having trouble narrowing it down. I've found a fair few, but I could really do with some recommendations to help me choose!

I've started off with Codecademy, which I really like. But I think I need more practice exercises, and you only get course-end quizs if you pay for the Pro version. I'm definitely more of a 'learn by doing' kind of person - I couldn't just read stuff, it would never sink in.

Has anyone here tried any online coding resources? Or know of anyone who has?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried any online coding resources?

No, I did-it-myself using Dreamweaver & Fireworks ... back then, didn't have Youtube to help, I had to build that myself. :lol:

Learnt a lot, and, actually designed a couple of sites. One hint I can give you is, install all the major Browsers so you can check it appears how you intended. :)

Sorry, it's not free, but it is the defacto, IMHO, web site builder.

A programme tutor once said, you have no need to re-write any code that has already been written .. as I right-click, view source. ;)

:user:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
HTML/CSS/PhP and a few others from using Rapid CSS and watching YouTube tutorials and asking questions in forums.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
http://www.w3schools.com/html/ This w3 schools is a good beginner series, and they have many courses beyond HTML such as jQuery, JavaScript etc that will help you expland your skills as a user interface developer.

Thanks for letting me know! That site looks great :) I got recommended another site too by a friend - Free Code Camp.

All look like excellent resources! Now to find the time to actually learn... :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have decided to learn how to code, with the aim of becoming a developer. I have only basic knowledge, so I'm starting right from the very beginning with HTML/CSS and will progress from that to PHP. Once I've done that I'll decide where to go from there!

I've been looking for some good online resources - ideally free ones - but there are so many I'm having trouble narrowing it down. I've found a fair few, but I could really do with some recommendations to help me choose!

I've started off with Codecademy, which I really like. But I think I need more practice exercises, and you only get course-end quizs if you pay for the Pro version. I'm definitely more of a 'learn by doing' kind of person - I couldn't just read stuff, it would never sink in.

Has anyone here tried any online coding resources? Or know of anyone who has?

The Humble Book Bundle: Joy of Coding presented by No Starch Press

A bundle of joy. For programmers who love what they do, diving into a new language is an exciting and rewarding challenge. Whether you’re looking to add some new skills to your resume or just searching for fun weekend projects, the Joy of Coding bundle is full of possibility. Explore the power and versatility of Python, Lisp, Haskell, Erlang, Clojure, and more with this collection of best-selling programming books.

Pay $1 or more for Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, The Linux Command Line, Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!, Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good!, and The Book of F#.

Pay $8 or more and you’ll also receive Eloquent JavaScript, 2nd Edition; The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript; Land of Lisp; Realm of Racket; If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript; and Write Great Code, Volume 1.

Pay $15 or more to receive all of that plus Python Playground, Think Like a Programmer, The Art of R Programming, Clojure for the Brave and True, and Write Great Code, Volume 2.

Pay $1 or more. Together, these books would cost over $480. Here at Humble Bundle, though, you name your price of $1 or more!

Read them anywhere. These books are available in PDF, ePUB, and MOBI formats, meaning you can read them anywhere at any time. Instructions and a list of recommended reading programs can be found here.

Support charity. Choose where the money goes — between the publisher, No Starch Press; the Electronic Frontier Foundation; and, if you'd like, a second charity of your choice via the PayPal Giving Fund. For details on how this works, click here. If you like what we do, you can leave us a Humble Tip too!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/joy-of-coding-book-bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/joy-of-coding-book-bundle
The above may be worth splashing out a few squids on. :cool:

Ask a Question