LCD Monitor vs. LCD TV with PC input

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by R.H., Dec 5, 2004.

  1. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    I am in the market for a new monitor and I want to get a LCD type. But
    I am unsure whether to buy a LCD monitor with a a high resolution say
    1600 x 1280 ( just guessing) or a LCD TV with a lower resolution of
    around 1280 x 768 though I did find one with a resolution of 1280 x
    1024 from samsung. I would have like to buy one that does both with a
    resolution of 1280 x 1024, but most are 1280 x 768 and I am not sure
    about the quality of samsung. I usually buy sony or another name brand.

    What I am really curious about though is whether there is really any
    difference in buy a higher resolution monitor with a TV card that does a
    resolution of 1280 x 1024 or buy a combined lcd TV that will take a PC
    input. If there is not really any difference than maybe I should just
    buy an LCD monitor and use my TV card that I already own. I would
    appreciate an opinion as I don't want to purchase a monitor that will be
    less than what I might actually need. I suspect either would work as I
    don't play games except once in a while and rarely do any large graphic
    work on my PC. I mainly wanted the LCD TV because I wanted to conserve
    some space and only use one set of speakers.

    Thanks,

    Roger

    R.H., Dec 5, 2004

  2. R.H.

    J. Clarke Guest

    R.H. wrote:

    > I am in the market for a new monitor and I want to get a LCD type. But
    > I am unsure whether to buy a LCD monitor with a a high resolution say
    > 1600 x 1280 ( just guessing) or a LCD TV with a lower resolution of
    > around 1280 x 768 though I did find one with a resolution of 1280 x
    > 1024 from samsung. I would have like to buy one that does both with a
    > resolution of 1280 x 1024, but most are 1280 x 768 and I am not sure
    > about the quality of samsung. I usually buy sony or another name brand.

    Samsung _is_ a "name brand". Samsung's 2003 revenues were 54 billion
    dollars vs 63 billion for Sony. In fact given a choice I'd take a Samsung
    over a Sony--I've had nothing but bad experience with Sony monitors. On
    the other hand my IBM, Hitachi, and LG monitors seem to last longer than
    the video standards that they support.

    What resolution you want depends mostly on the screen size. Generally
    speaking LCDs work best at their design resolution--running at too high a
    resolution on a small screen makes things difficult to see. 1280x1024 is
    about right for a 19 or 21 inch but it's a bit high IMO for a 17 inch.

    > What I am really curious about though is whether there is really any
    > difference in buy a higher resolution monitor with a TV card that does a
    > resolution of 1280 x 1024 or buy a combined lcd TV that will take a PC
    > input. If there is not really any difference than maybe I should just
    > buy an LCD monitor and use my TV card that I already own. I would
    > appreciate an opinion as I don't want to purchase a monitor that will be
    > less than what I might actually need. I suspect either would work as I
    > don't play games except once in a while and rarely do any large graphic
    > work on my PC. I mainly wanted the LCD TV because I wanted to conserve
    > some space and only use one set of speakers.

    If your primary use for it is as a computer monitor then get one that is
    made for that purpose.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Dec 5, 2004

  3. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    Yes, I kind of realize that samsung is a name brand. I only said that
    because I don't have much experience with them. I normall buy Sony and
    have never had any problems. I was kind of leaning toward a 22" or 23"
    monitor and I was wondering if I would see a clearer picture from a LCD
    TV than I do from my monitor with a TV card. At the moment it brings it
    up in a small window and if I resize it to full screen it is not as
    clear. I imagine this because of the higher resolution used with
    Computers versus TVs and the only way to fix this would be to resize my
    monitor before activating my TV card. Thanks for the info though. I
    guess I'll just buy a regular monitor and use my TV card.

    Roger

    R.H., Dec 5, 2004
  4. R.H.

    J. Clarke Guest

    R.H. wrote:

    > Yes, I kind of realize that samsung is a name brand. I only said that
    > because I don't have much experience with them. I normall buy Sony and
    > have never had any problems. I was kind of leaning toward a 22" or 23"
    > monitor and I was wondering if I would see a clearer picture from a LCD
    > TV than I do from my monitor with a TV card. At the moment it brings it
    > up in a small window and if I resize it to full screen it is not as
    > clear. I imagine this because of the higher resolution used with
    > Computers versus TVs and the only way to fix this would be to resize my
    > monitor before activating my TV card. Thanks for the info though. I
    > guess I'll just buy a regular monitor and use my TV card.

    This is really a factor of the quality of the conversion provided by your TV
    card. Take a look at the Compro Videomate TV Ultra or look into dScaler or
    both. If you're running a BT8x8 board the quality you can get out of it is
    limited--I think you'll be surprised how much better a current-technology
    board will be.

    J. Clarke, Dec 5, 2004
  5. R.H.

    Irv Segal Guest

    I gave my wife my Samsung 210T [21.3" 1600x1200] monitor when I purchased a
    Dell 23" High-Def TV monitor. I connect two PCs to the monitor. I was
    already watching TV on my Samsung, as both puters have ATI AIW cards. I did
    not like the 16x12 resolution for text as I am getting older. I use pip to
    watch TV in the top left corner bottom left corner is for program details
    from titanrv.com, and I have a nicely sized window for surfing, productivity
    apps, usenet, remote computing, etc.

    The Samsung cost $1600 when new, and the 213T is around $1000 now. I bought
    the Dell W2300 for $899 from Dell about 2 months ago, and I love it to
    death.

    --irv segal

    Irv Segal, Dec 5, 2004
  6. R.H.

    Guest

    Irv Segal wrote:
    > I gave my wife my Samsung 210T [21.3" 1600x1200] monitor when I

    purchased a
    > Dell 23" High-Def TV monitor. I connect two PCs to the monitor. I was

    > already watching TV on my Samsung, as both puters have ATI AIW cards.

    I did
    > not like the 16x12 resolution for text as I am getting older. I use

    pip to
    > watch TV in the top left corner bottom left corner is for program

    details
    > from titanrv.com, and I have a nicely sized window for surfing,

    productivity
    > apps, usenet, remote computing, etc.
    >
    > The Samsung cost $1600 when new, and the 213T is around $1000 now. I

    bought
    > the Dell W2300 for $899 from Dell about 2 months ago, and I love it

    > death.

    Sounds very nice. Are you connecting your DELL 23" TV monitor to PC via
    DVI?

    , Feb 14, 2005