    I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.

    I can use another PC if necessary - if it would make things simpler.

    Thanks for any response and/or recommendations.

    joe_tide, Jan 11, 2007

  2. joe_tide

    Warren Block Guest

    joe_tide <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
    > PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
    > envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
    > smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
    > envelopes.

    Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
    or a thousand?

    The multi-purpose trays on a lot of printers will handle hand-fed
    envelopes one at a time, and there are specific envelope feeders for
    some models, like the HP C4122A/C8053A. Good luck finding those on HP's
    site, although printerworks.com has them listed.

    > Using it for other things would be a bonus.
    >
    > An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
    > exists.

    I'm sure they do, but they are probably for high-volume production and
    priced accordingly.

    > Also - Is there a problem with having two printers connected to the same PC?
    > I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.

    Normally not a problem as long as your computer has enough ports and the
    software supports them.

    Warren Block, Jan 11, 2007

  3. joe_tide

    joe_tide Guest

    By a large amount I mean a few hundred.

    joe_tide, Jan 11, 2007
  4. joe_tide

    LurfysMa Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:44:52 -0500, "joe_tide" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
    >PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
    >envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
    >smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
    >envelopes.
    >
    >Using it for other things would be a bonus.
    >
    >An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
    >exists.

    I posted a similar query on 1/02/07. I only got one reply suggesting
    the Canon IP4300. I think that's an ink jet.

    If you find one, let me know. I'll do the same.

    I'm looking for something that can be dedicated to envelopes.
    Something with a small footprint. Maybe some kind of label printer.
    Best if it has a straight paper path.

    Like you, I need it for from a few to maybe a hundred envelopes at a
    time.

    LurfysMa, Jan 11, 2007
  5. joe_tide

    Warren Block Guest

    joe_tide <> wrote:

    > "Warren Block" <> wrote in message
    >> joe_tide <> wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
    >>> PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
    >>> envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap
    >>> envelope
    >>> smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
    >>> envelopes.

    >> Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
    >> or a thousand?

    > By a large amount I mean a few hundred.

    [Please don't top-post, it makes responding to your message difficult.]

    The Secap 5KLE claims to be able to print up to 2,000 pieces per hour,
    for only $3695. It's an inkjet.

    Envelope feeders for lasers are around $250, and hold fifty to a hundred
    envelopes. You'll have to add another $200-$800 for the printer itself.

    It's at this point that many will consider just printing address labels.

    You could also check with local mailing companies to see if they could
    print envelopes more economically.

    Warren Block, Jan 12, 2007
  6. joe_tide

    joe_tide Guest

    > joe_tide <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Warren Block" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
    >>> or a thousand?

    >> By a large amount I mean a few hundred.

    > [Please don't top-post, it makes responding to your message difficult.]
    >
    > The Secap 5KLE claims to be able to print up to 2,000 pieces per hour,
    > for only $3695. It's an inkjet.
    >
    > Envelope feeders for lasers are around $250, and hold fifty to a hundred
    > envelopes. You'll have to add another $200-$800 for the printer itself.
    >
    > It's at this point that many will consider just printing address labels.
    >
    > You could also check with local mailing companies to see if they could
    > print envelopes more economically.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    "[Please don't top-post, it makes responding to your message difficult.]"

    Sorry about the top-posting. I usually review a group first to see how
    Neanderthal they are.

    I did see the 5KLE but didn't want to spend that much for a few hundred
    envelopes a few times a year.

    Thanks for the information.

    joe_tide, Jan 12, 2007
  7. joe_tide

    M.H. Guest

    On my laser printer, it recommends non pre-adhesive envelopes only.
    I've printed envelopes out in it, flaps come out slightly stuck
    together. You will want to check with any printer you are considering
    if it recommends naked or pre-glued envelopes.

    M.H., Jan 12, 2007
  8. joe_tide

    joe_tide Guest

    "LurfysMa" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:44:52 -0500, "joe_tide" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
    >>PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
    >>envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
    >>smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
    >>envelopes.
    >>
    >>Using it for other things would be a bonus.
    >>
    >>An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a
    >>thing
    >>exists.

    > I posted a similar query on 1/02/07. I only got one reply suggesting
    > the Canon IP4300. I think that's an ink jet.
    >
    > If you find one, let me know. I'll do the same.
    >
    > I'm looking for something that can be dedicated to envelopes.
    > Something with a small footprint. Maybe some kind of label printer.
    > Best if it has a straight paper path.
    >
    > Like you, I need it for from a few to maybe a hundred envelopes at a
    > time.
    >
    > --

    My old Canon ink jet (It was an i850 I believe) was great for a few hundred
    envelopes, although you had to keep feeding 15 or so at a time. That wasn't
    bad considering I only did it a few times a year. This iP500 is horrible
    with cheap envelopes which, unfortunately, is what the people I am printing
    them for have....and they have thousands of them.

    If I run across something I'll let you know.

    joe_tide, Jan 12, 2007
  9. joe_tide

    joe_tide Guest

    "M.H." <> wrote in message
    > On my laser printer, it recommends non pre-adhesive envelopes only.
    > I've printed envelopes out in it, flaps come out slightly stuck
    > together. You will want to check with any printer you are considering
    > if it recommends naked or pre-glued envelopes.

    Good tip. I'll make sure to check it out.

    Thanks

    joe_tide, Jan 12, 2007
  10. joe_tide

    jw Guest

    joe_tide wrote:
    > I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
    > PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
    > envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
    > smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
    > envelopes.
    >
    > Using it for other things would be a bonus.
    >
    > An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
    > exists.
    >
    > Also - Is there a problem with having two printers connected to the same PC?
    > I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.
    >
    > I can use another PC if necessary - if it would make things simpler.
    >
    > Thanks for any response and/or recommendations.

    I'm not sure if you are interested in only new printers, but I have a
    IBM/Lexmark 4039 laser printer that I think a lot of. It has good
    quality and doesn't give me any trouble. If you keep your eyes open
    they are easy to find on Ebay. If you aren't in a hurry, you can also
    find envelope feeders and duplexers for the printer.

    The two programs I usually use for printing is WordPerfect and Atlantis.
    They both understand I have a printer with a envelope feeder, so
    when I do envelopes both programs just select the feeder with no
    intervention from me. I have it hooked up to a ethernet print server so
    every computer on the network can access the printer and envelope feeder.

    I don't think the feeder will hold more than about 25 envelopes, so that
    may be a problem. If you are patient you can pick up toner cartridges
    very cheap. The last two new ones I bought went for $5.50 (plus $15.00
    shipping).

    There is an auction going on now (250069662155) selling two of these
    printers, a envelope feeder, a duplexer and they throw in a HP laser
    printer. The price is great (about $5.00) but they want $81.00 to ship
    this truckload of iron. Still, it may not be bad for the job you want
    to do. (It's not me selling my 4039s and I don't know the people that
    are selling them).

    John

    jw, Jan 12, 2007
  11. joe_tide

    joe_tide Guest

    <snipage>

    > The two programs I usually use for printing is WordPerfect and Atlantis.
    > They both understand I have a printer with a envelope feeder, so when I do
    > envelopes both programs just select the feeder with no intervention from
    > me. I have it hooked up to a ethernet print server so every computer on
    > the network can access the printer and envelope feeder.
    >
    > I don't think the feeder will hold more than about 25 envelopes, so that
    > may be a problem. If you are patient you can pick up toner cartridges
    > very cheap. The last two new ones I bought went for $5.50 (plus $15.00
    > shipping).
    >
    > There is an auction going on now (250069662155) selling two of these
    > printers, a envelope feeder, a duplexer and they throw in a HP laser
    > printer. The price is great (about $5.00) but they want $81.00 to ship
    > this truckload of iron. Still, it may not be bad for the job you want to
    > do. (It's not me selling my 4039s and I don't know the people that are
    > selling them).
    >
    > John

    Thanks John. I'll check it out.

    joe_tide, Jan 12, 2007