    old and obsolete ones?

    Thanks

    Jan

    Guest, Aug 27, 2007

    P. Di Stolfo Guest

    Hello,

    which type of files are there? Are that normal files that were sent between
    chat partners, or the Messenger contact history files?
    If you don't want to keep your message history, go to menu Tools ->
    Options -> Messages -> Message history.
    The folder where the transferred files are stored can be changed in Tools ->
    Options -> File Transfer.
    Of course, you can delete old/obsolete files you don't want to keep.

    Hope this helps.
    Greetings,
    P. Di Stolfo
    --
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

    P. Di Stolfo, Aug 28, 2007

    Thanks for your replies.

    They are neither received files or history files.

    When I do a spyware scan they spin by really quickly but they seem to end in
    ..windowslivecontact
    I have found about 3,000 of these files in documents and settings but the
    scanner shows about 50,000. I can't find the rest.

    Jan

    Guest, Aug 28, 2007

    Hi,

    I found a bunch of these files.
    They are under username\local settings\application data\microsoft\windows
    live contacts\shadow\ignored
    This is a hidden directory. It seems to create a file for every time a
    contact logs on and we ignore it.
    It contains about 25,000 files per user, and we have 3 heavy users and one
    light user in this house, so you can see how we got so many extra files.
    It just slows down my anti virus and spyware scans so I am deleting them.
    I hope to find a way to stop Windows Live from storing this info. It is
    just a useless waste of hard drive if you ask me.

    Jan

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007

    P. Di Stolfo Guest

    Hello,

    I've got about 70 files there. What version of Windows Live Messenger are
    you using? WLM 8.1 shouldn't produce such a waste.

    Greetings,
    P. Di Stolfo
    --
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    P. Di Stolfo, Sep 2, 2007

    Hi,

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    I have WLM 8.1 also.

    Jan

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007

    To expand on my previous answer, we only recently upgraded, and all these
    extra files date from previous versions.

    Jan

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007

    P. Di Stolfo Guest

    Hello,
    so new ones are created, but in normal amount?
    Try deleting as many of the annoying files as you can.
    (If possible, you can restrict access to the folder by right-clicking it ->
    Properties -> Security -> Delete all users from the list, even System, and
    see if it works. I haven't tried this yet.)

    Greetings,
    P. Di Stolfo
    --
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    P. Di Stolfo, Sep 2, 2007

    So I deleted all of the files in the "ignore" folders plus the folders
    themselves for all 4 users, which took hours, and so far WLM hasn't built new
    folders for any of us. I will give it a few weeks to see if everything is
    stable, and then delete them from the recycle bin.

    WLM seems to be working normally.

    Thanks for your help.

    Jan de Groot

    Guest, Sep 5, 2007