Laptop overheats & shuts down

Reaction score
My Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D8820 has developed a problem (out of warranty of course).

After using it for about 15 minutes, the fan goes up to full speed and stays there, even if not doing anything. Then after another 15 minutes or so, it shuts down.

If I try to restart immediately, it begins the boot up procedure, the fan still on full speed, but just shuts down again. I have to leave it for at least 30 minutes before it will boot up properly. Then the process starts again.

The area where the fan vents (back right hand side) becomes almost too hot to touch at this point.

I contacted Siemens tech support and they said it was faulty!

I'm reluctant to return it to them as the cost is not justified. As I'm a reasonable DIY'er I want to have a go at fixing myself but I would like any advice anybody might have.

Many thanks

Rob

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like its just overheating and the BIOS (then CPU) stops it from booting and shuts it down, which might be due to build up of dust in the fans and then causing them to clog or underperform. Try blasting compressed air into the fan ports to remove the dust, or open it up and suck the dust out if you feel brave enough. It doesn't seem like a hardware problem or something that can't be fixed without a bit of effort :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
its definately overheating, does the bottom feel hot ?

Last edited:
Reaction score

I've been advised about the compressed air solution and mean to try it. I have no problem with opening it up and doing some gentle cleaning, I might have to lie down afterwards as anything to do with cleaning tires me out very quickly.

With regards to whether it is overheating or not, it was my initial reaction and that of a PC techie and the Siemens support. Plus the whole right hand side towards the back gets very, very hot. Almost too hot to touch.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ask a Question