    The computer doesn't join a domain.
    How and where can I keep the private key.

    Many thanks.

    Simone, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Simone

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Simone" <> wrote in message
    news:OL4A%...
    > In a laptop with windows xp pro I want make a secure partition with

    personal
    > data.
    > What cryptography do you suggest me to use ?
    > The computer doesn't join a domain.
    > How and where can I keep the private key.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Here is some information I found in pursuing the same issue
    Both the XP Resource guide and the product docs have
    good info -- do lots of reading FIRST (there are many
    trap doors you can drop through if you are not careful)
    :
    One of the most important things to do is

    ====>>>>> BACK UP YOUR KEYS <<<<<====

    Many people have gotten bitten with having their files in
    the EFS (Encrypted File System) on a different drive and
    for whatever reason, (crash, virus etc) re-installed windows.
    If you did not back up your keys, those files are probably
    gone -- the SID etc is different if you do a clean install and
    the new key for the same user will NOT work with the
    files that were encrypted with the key from the previous
    install. You have been warned !!!!

    In light of the recent theft of the Boeing information that hit
    the news, more information on file encryption ...

    http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/support/dataprot.mspx
    http://ls.berkeley.edu/mail/micronet/2005/0301.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0205.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241201&sd=tech
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316&sd=tech
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sharefilesefs.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259732
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290260

    Mike Fields, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Mike is correct in that using EFS to encrypt files or folders is one built
    in solution though you can not use EFS to secure the whole system drive. I
    also want to repeat the importance of backing up your EFS
    certificate/private key to a password protected .pfx file on external media
    for safe keeping. Also keep in mind that if you leave your EFS
    certificate/private key on your computer that the EFS encryption is only as
    strong as your password. If you use a pass phrase that includes upper case,
    lower case, numeric, and special character such as those above the number
    keys on the keyboard AND your pass phrase is at least 15 characters long
    your password will be next to impossible to crack. Pass phrases should be
    easy for you to remember and leave the spaces in the pass phrase. A pass
    phrase such as "I always forget my 1 password!" is an extremely strong
    password. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Simone

    Simone Guest

    Thanks, now I have to study.

    Simone, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Simone wrote:

    > In a laptop with windows xp pro I want make a secure partition
    > with personal data.
    > What cryptography do you suggest me to use ?
    > The computer doesn't join a domain.
    > How and where can I keep the private key.

    Hi,

    I would not have used the builtin encryption that comes with
    Windows (EFS), to many things can go wrong with it.

    For a free 3rd party solution:

    TrueCrypt
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    <quote>
    Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003

    Main Features:
    * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    as a real disk.
    * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

    </quote>

    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Nov 30, 2005
  6. Simone

    Guest Guest

    We use Encryption Hard Disk Plus from PC Guardian.
    http://www.guardianedge.com/Encryption_Plus_Hard_Disk/index.html

    It is easy to use and is very secure. It does encrypt the whole hdd though,
    which in my opinion is better as you don't run the risk of putting sensitive
    data on a non encrpted partition.

    Guest, Nov 30, 2005