    installed d/l I can remove.
    But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is much
    appreciated.

    Larry, Dec 24, 2008

  2. Larry,

    There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
    If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

    Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search,
    type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator'
    follow the prompts ]
    Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
    Download and *save* it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3c-5261-4f69-83d0-932c430abd14&displaylang=en

    Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
    Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    *Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ',
    follow the prompts.
    Reboot after it installs.
    Reenable all non - MS services now.
    Reboot once more.

    Did that get it installed properly ?

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Dec 26, 2008

  3. Larry

    Larry Guest

    MowGreen,

    Yes I did have 1 too many 5's. It is kb954430. I didn't understand what you
    meant by Elevated CMD Prompt.
    I did Start-Search but was lost from there. I show For Files or Folders,
    Using Outlook, For Inet Audio/Video or For People.
    I went to article you pointed me to. I went to Start-Run and entered ren
    %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old.
    It came back w/Windows can not find 'ren' (eventhough I had no ' '). Make
    sure you typed name correctly & try again.
    I even tried typing it, and got same msg. Did I miss something or do
    something wrong?
    Thanks

    Larry, Dec 28, 2008
  4. Larry

    Larry Guest

    MOWGreen,
    Maybe it Is good you haven't gotten to this yet. I have to correct it. I
    made a sm. error in following the web link instruction.
    I went from the run prompt of Windows itself vs. the CMD prompt. I did the
    ren again and it came back 'access denied'.
    So I went and searched out the file following the path. I found 3 files
    w/that name. Each has a different date & file size.
    They are 4/18/03 4:46pm appl. ext. 1205 kb 10/9/07 2:07pm appl. ext 44kb
    and 4/18/03 4:29pm appl. ext 81kb.
    Does this help diagnose any? There are a couple of dll files that appear to
    be there more than once.

    Larry, Dec 29, 2008
  5. You need to run an ELEVATED Command Prompt or you will get an Access
    Denied message, Larry. Please see my previous post to see learn how that
    is accomplished.
    Once you've renamed msxml4.dll from the Elevated CP, manually download
    the update from the links I previously provided and *save it*.
    Clean Boot the system now using the steps previously laid out.
    This will stop all non - MS services from loading on boot.

    Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and

    MowGreen [MVP], Dec 29, 2008
  6. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Ok MowGreen,

    Please excuse my ignorance. This Is new to me. I still was still unclear on
    your instruction. I did however do an Inet search on
    "Elevated Command Prompt " and found a page explaining it a little better.
    Now I am still unclear on what to rename.
    If you see my prev. post you will see I have 3 - msxml4.dll files. Rename
    them all or just the 1 large file?
    I don't mind if you try walking me through things step by step as if I were
    a total novice vs. Intermediate user.
    Thanks again for your attn. to this problem.

    Larry, Dec 30, 2008
  7. Just rename msxml4.dll at the Elevated Command Prompt, Larry. No need to
    specify anything but that specific file. There is only one copy by that
    name in system32.

    > Start Search, type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator' follow the
    > prompts

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Jan 1, 2009
  8. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Happy New Yr.
    Now, I did the rename w/no prob. What was throwing me off was when you were
    saying Start Search. I am used to Start > Run > Cmd (or whatever).
    Now when I go through the steps of a clean boot I have another item that
    doesn't match. I went to msconfig.
    Under General tab I checked Selective Startup, then unchecked load startup
    items. Load system services is still checked.
    When I go to the Services tab and checked Hide all MS svcs. I can only
    enable not disable them. I have d/l'ed the file already.
    For now I guess I'll just set it back to do a Normal startup. I don't think
    I missed anything, did I?
    I am trying to follow the links you gave me.

    Thanks again for all your time.

    Larry, Jan 1, 2009
  9. Larry

    Larry Guest

    MowGreen, Just for the check of it I went to try the install. It came up
    w/3 options. Modify, Repair, remove.
    Which do I use, repair? Remove would take it out totally. If I use remove,
    rerun the install from Update?
    I wanted to check w/you before attempting this. Thanks again

    Larry, Jan 1, 2009
  10. HNY to you, too. What happens if you choose Modify, Larry ? Does it give
    you the option of installing msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe ? If not, then
    choose Repair.

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Jan 2, 2009
  11. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Under Modify it shows a tree and says to 'click on the icons in the tree
    before to change the way features will be installed.
    Tree looks like: MSXML Parser--
    =MSXML (Global
    Installation)
    =MSXML (side by
    side)
    x - XML SDK ( x over
    icon)
    It looks like a couple of pull downs show what it will do in ea. instance.
    Going to try Repair (since I don't think we want to do anything custom).
    Will post in a few results of Repair. Fingers x'ed <g>

    Larry, Jan 2, 2009
  12. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Ok so it looks like my attempt to diagram didn't come out so well.
    Anyway the update Still shows in Windows Update. :)
    If I try remove, what do I do try and run it from Update again,
    because I do not see an install option when I run the file.
    I figure I'd check before trying.

    Larry, Jan 2, 2009
  13. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I Also tried last night the Remove option. The update is still showing. Is
    this a glitch in the way the updates are
    being handled on this machine, or is this legitimately the update to try,
    since it was removed? I am really
    confused why clearing this up is such a pain in the neck. I do apprec. your
    assistance.

    Larry, Jan 4, 2009
  14. You MUST Clean Boot the system as whatever is holding msxml4.dll in use
    will not allow it to be replaced unless it's not running.

    After running Remove, did you reboot the system ?
    If not, do so, then just double click the manually downloaded
    msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe *after* a Clean Boot to install it.
    There should be no other options presented and it *should* install.

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Jan 6, 2009
  15. Larry

    Larry Guest

    After the repair did not work, and I didn't hear back from you, I followed
    the rest of the article.
    I did a remove. But there was no place to just do a install outside of from
    the regular ms d/l pg.
    I took a shot at it, and for now it seems to have worked. I have not run MS
    Update again, but
    before it was just always there. So it seems to have worked. If all stays
    good for a couple of
    days I thank you for all your feedback. If it happens again I shall post
    again.

    Larry, Jan 6, 2009
  16. Larry,

    If you removed MSXML 4.0 SP2 and then installed KB954430 using the
    manually downloaded update, then it replaces the MSXML 4 SP2 parser with
    an updated version of it that mitigates the vulnerability the update is
    meant to address. It should not be reoffered again.
    You're mowst welcome and am very glad to hear your ordeal appears to
    finally be over <w>

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Jan 6, 2009
  17. Cathy,

    See if the Windows Event Collector and Windows Module Installer services
    are Disabled or if they can be started:
    http://www.error0x800f0826.com

    If that does not resolve the update installation issue -
    0x800f0826 Another package in the same transaction has failed. This
    resulted in rolling back all packages in that transaction to their last
    known good state.

    Try this first ... go to Start > in the Search field type -> Command
    *right* click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as administrator'.
    At the prompt, type in the below and press Enter afterwards

    reg delete HKLM\Components /v Advanced InstallersNeedResolving
    exit

    Restart the system and see if the updates can install now.
    If no joy, open the services console again (as shown in the above
    article) and locate the Windows Update service.
    Double left click on it and then click the Stop button
    Leave the services and Windows Update properties open for now.

    Using Windows Explorer [Start > All Programs > Accessories]
    navigate to this location
    WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    Delete *all* of the contents of Download
    Close Windows Explorer

    Now go back to the Windows Update properties and Start the WU service.
    Restart the system
    Open Windows Update in the Control Panel
    Click the Check for updates link and see if WU detects that updates are
    needed.
    If yes, then strongly suggest you not install more than 2 at a time for now.

    If any needed updates were detected, downloaded, and installed, great.
    If not, then do the above steps once more and this time delete all of
    the *contents* of the DataStore subfolder in SoftwareDistribution .
    You will need to stop the WU service once more and the Background
    Intelligent Transfer Service [BITS] *if* that starts automatically on
    system startup or if it's now running but is set to Manual on startup.
    Reboot once more and see if the system can update now.

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten

    MowGreen [MVP], Jan 6, 2009