Reaction score
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/ubuntu-910-review-karmic.html

koalatimeline1024x478.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ubuntu one on Karmic Koala

http://unixlab.blogspot.com/2009/10/ubuntu-one-on-karmic-koala.html

"Ubuntu one is a free on line file sharing service offered by Canonical. The newly released ubuntu 9.10 has Ubuntu One tightly integrated with it. For using this service , you have to sign up with Ubuntu one. Click on this link and fill in the details to get a free account which can hold upto 2 GB. A mail will come to you mail account asking you to confirm the subscription."

Yes it is true you not only get a free OS but you can get 2GB of free on-line storage too. Windows 7 eat your heart out.
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"So you've just installed Ubuntu 9.10, the cute and cuddly Karmic Koala, but now you're confronted with a most pertinent question, "What do i do now?" Ubuntu is a very complete and full-featured Linux distribution, but no operating system can come with everything you want. There's much more fun to be had in what comes after installing the OS on your machine: now you get to set it up with all the best software it didn't already come with! This list of the top things to do immediately after installing your newly acquired copy of Ubuntu doubles as a general list of great software to try out and use, complete with links to any special instructions on how to set them up, Terminal commands for those who prefer a command-line interface (CLI), and when available, personal package archives (PPA), repositories to keep the applications at their newest version, not just the security updates provided for you by default. Repositories can be added easily by clicking the "Add..." button in the "Other Software" tab of Software Sources and entering the provided APT Line. Feel free to pick and choose; enjoy!"

http://www.reddit.com/tb/9z2xk/

Excellent clear guide for those new to Ubuntu.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That is, of course, if you're able to actually install any apps without totally crippling the enitire OS.

And even if you're lucky or clever enough to install something, applying the updates and getting it to work is very much a hit and miss affair.

My observations based entirely on my own experience with various Linux Distros :)

I start a thread on a new Linux distribution and still Abarbarian manages to bash Windows. Predictable.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And even if you're lucky or clever enough to install something, applying the updates and getting it to work is very much a hit and miss affair.

And thats pretty much why I gave up on tryng Linux out...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I start a thread on a new Linux distribution and still Abarbarian manages to bash Windows.
Predictable.

Hmm lets look at this again.

I post two very good links to help anyone wishing to try out Karmic Kola. That seems to be in the spirit of the thread to me.
nod.gif

I post a "FACT" about an usefull addition to Karmic Kola " Yes it is true you not only get a free OS but you can get 2GB of free on-line storage too."That too seems to be in the spirit of the thread to me aswell.
nod.gif

As to my comment " Windows 7 eat your heart out " Do Windows 7 offer free on-line storage ? Does windows 7 cost zero ie:FREE or does it cost a rather hefty amount of loot? After looking at the facts my comment as it was intended to be could be viewed as "pocking fun at Microsoft" rather than Microsoft bashing.
As I have not highlighted any shortcomings of Windows 7 (thats if there are any) and simply pointed out that Windows 7 costs money and does not have free on-line storage as part of its package I don't realy see how that can be construed as "bashing"

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For those so inclined, such a comment might trigger a spate of Linux vs Windows arguments, which I, for one, am heartily sick of.

I realised you were perhaps only having a joke but comments like that can antagonise the wrong type of people.

And I am having a severe case of Mr Grumpiness just lately, not sure why, maybe it's cos winter is with us.

Let's sum it up:

1) Windows: easy to use operating system that will get most of the things you want to do done, including lots of new games but supplied at high cost by the biggest bunch of crooks on the planet who have the moral values of those at a party hosted for solicitors, traffic wardens and estate agents.

2) Linux: Operating system that works well supplied, written and supported mostly by a thoroughly nice bunch of people with their hearts in the right places but unless you are prepared to spend lots of time studying, experimenting, getting frustrated and knowing that if you persevere you will likely have gained the knowledge over inumerable hours that is probably the equivalent of a Masters Degree.

Take yer pick :)

Neither, overall, is better than the other imo.

Who mentioned Panther? :eek:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Who mentioned Panther? :eek:

Rilke, methinks.

Sein Blick ist vom Vorübergehn der Stäbe
so müd geworden, daß er nichts mehr hält.
Ihm ist, als ob es tausend Stäbe gäbe
und hinter tausend Stäben keine Welt.

happywave.gif

peacelovelinuxbagp14963.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'll probably give this a go just for the hell of it.

Will have to wait til Sunday though when my download allowance is renewed cos I'm almost out of bandwidth for this month.

The first distro that recognises all my hardware out of the box; comes with all media codecs and lets me install UT2004 with patches and PREY without hassle will be the one I use.

Which is probably an impossible request ;)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
2GB is peanuts. Canonical's gonna have to increase the "free box" size to 20-30GB before I go ga-ga.

However (here we go again):
3. How You May Use the Service.
In using the service, you will:
  • obey the law;
  • obey any codes of conduct or other notices we provide;
  • obey the Microsoft Anti-spam Policy, which is available at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=117951;
  • keep your service account password secret; and
  • promptly notify us if you learn of a security breach related to the service.
4. How You May Not Use the Service.
In using the service, you may not:
  • engage in, facilitate or further unlawful conduct;
  • use the service in a way that harms us or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors, or any customer of ours or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors;
  • use any portion of the service as a destination linked from any unsolicited bulk messages or unsolicited commercial messages ("spam");
  • use any unauthorized third party software or service to access the Microsoft instant messaging network (currently known as the .NET Messenger Service);
  • use any automated process or service to access and/or use the service (such as a BOT, a spider, periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft, or "meta-searching");
  • use any unauthorized means to modify or reroute, or attempt to modify or reroute, the service;
  • damage, disable, overburden, or impair the service (or the network(s) connected to the service) or interfere with anyone's use and enjoyment of the service; or
  • resell or redistribute the service, or any part of the service.
http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=tou

1. Acceptable use and conduct. All usage of the services must be legal and not infringe any third party's rights. You must not take any action or use the services in any way that might bring Canonical into disrepute, affect the ability of Canonical to provide the services, be illegal, or encourage illegal activities. You may not use the services in any manner that might be libellous or defamatory (more info on what that means), that contains threats or incites violence towards individuals or entities, or that violates the privacy or publicity rights of any third party. As part of the services, you may store data on Canonical's servers or those of Canonical's suppliers. You should ensure that this data is not in breach of any applicable law and does not breach any individual's data protection or privacy rights. You shall indemnify Canonical in full for any loss, cost or damages suffered by it as a result of your use or misuse of the services.
https://one.ubuntu.com/terms/

(Say... did anyone read the M$ ToS from A to Z?
laughingsmiley.gif
)

Ask a Question