K8V Deluxe - Memory Advise Please

Discussion in 'Asus Motherboards' started by dimize@nospam.com, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I presently have 1 (twin 512's) GB of PC3200 in my system.

    When I purchased this memory in March of this year, I saved a few
    dollars by purchasing some generic memory which apperntly was O/C'd to
    the 3200 speed from the vendor. Live and learn and always read the
    fine print has been my lesson.

    So, while it runs at the faster clock speed, I think it's actually
    running a slower bus speed.

    I've stuck it out and for several months and only notice occasional
    issues while playing games. That is the ONLY time I ever get a memory
    error.

    I'm wanting to upgrade my memory and I'm a bit n00b to the choices.

    I'm debating strongly on whether or not to go with 1 GB (twin 512's)
    of true PC3700 or to go with 2 GB (twin 1GB DIMMs) of true PC3200.

    I really enjoy my PC for gaming. Many of the upcoming games I will be
    playing seem to be able to take advantage of 2 GB of memory. Games
    like Doom3, HL2 and possibly Tribes: Vengeance.

    So, does the faster memory allow some headroom for O/C'ng and does it
    cause timing issues?

    Which choice would you recommend for a gamer? The faster memory or the
    larger memory?

    The ASUS K8V Deluxe supports up to 3 DIMMs of 1 GB each of PC3200.
    But, if you use more than two DIMMs the bus speed drops from 400MHz to
    200 according to the manual.

    In either scenario I'm planning on unbuffered DDR Kingston or OCZ.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Dim-Ize

    , Jul 24, 2004

  2. Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I presently have 1 (twin 512's) GB of PC3200 in my system.
    >
    > When I purchased this memory in March of this year, I saved a few
    > dollars by purchasing some generic memory which apperntly was O/C'd to
    > the 3200 speed from the vendor. Live and learn and always read the
    > fine print has been my lesson.
    >
    > So, while it runs at the faster clock speed, I think it's actually
    > running a slower bus speed.
    >
    > I've stuck it out and for several months and only notice occasional
    > issues while playing games. That is the ONLY time I ever get a memory
    > error.
    >
    > I'm wanting to upgrade my memory and I'm a bit n00b to the choices.
    >
    > I'm debating strongly on whether or not to go with 1 GB (twin 512's)
    > of true PC3700 or to go with 2 GB (twin 1GB DIMMs) of true PC3200.
    >
    > I really enjoy my PC for gaming. Many of the upcoming games I will be
    > playing seem to be able to take advantage of 2 GB of memory. Games
    > like Doom3, HL2 and possibly Tribes: Vengeance.
    >
    > So, does the faster memory allow some headroom for O/C'ng and does it
    > cause timing issues?
    >
    > Which choice would you recommend for a gamer? The faster memory or the
    > larger memory?
    >
    > The ASUS K8V Deluxe supports up to 3 DIMMs of 1 GB each of PC3200.
    > But, if you use more than two DIMMs the bus speed drops from 400MHz to
    > 200 according to the manual.
    >
    > In either scenario I'm planning on unbuffered DDR Kingston or OCZ.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Dim-Ize

    Well, first of all, you should investigate how it is possible to
    overclock the K8V and find out what the limits are. There are two
    things that can possibly change - the multiplier and the FSB.
    I don't know what your multiplier options are on that platform -
    they might be locked for example. For the FSB, the limits tend
    to be determined by what FSB:AGP:pCI ratios are supported, and
    a desirable feature is an "AGP/PCI" lock, where the AGP bus
    is clocked independently of the FSB.

    Currently, the A8V is the closest Via has come to a working AGP
    lock, and it is unclear whether Asus has got it working or not.
    The K8N-E might have a working lock, but I haven't read any posts
    from end users (overclockers), to see if that is true.

    Without an AGP/PCI lock feature, the overclock limit will be
    determined by the video card. On a 9800 or 5900, this is 75MHz. So,
    a reasonable limit is 200FSB*(75/66) = 227MHz FSB. The PCI bus is
    similarly limited to about 37.5MHz (really enforces the same limit).
    At a 1:1 ratio with memory, this is about DDR440 or so, so PC3500 or
    PC3700 might be good enough (the PC3500 being slightly overclocked
    at the very limit).

    As for the 1GB modules, be careful with those, because many of
    them have "stacked" memory chip construction, and with the drive
    limits of the Athlon64 processors, I wouldn't advise overloading
    the bus with stacked memory. Consult crucial.com or kingston.com,
    and see how expensive real 1GB non-stacked memory modules are.
    There are many "bargain" 1GB modules for sale, but you would
    regret buying most of them.

    So, your 2x512MB PC3700 should be OK.

    Be aware that the timing set in the SPD, may be defined for the
    PC3700 level, or it may be defined for PC3200 level, for better
    initial install compatibility. If the PC3700 has PC3200 numbers
    stored in the SPD, you'll have to set the parameters for PC3700
    performance, via manual timing settings. If you've looked at
    the Memory Configuration section in the BIOS, it is pretty
    complicated. So, while overclocking is fun, the fact the Athlon64
    exposes so many timing parameters, can make setup a challenge.
    If a memory product has a claim like "plug and frag", that means
    the PC3700 memory will have the SPD programmed for PC3700. In that
    case, the BIOS may or may not like it.

    There aren't too many postings about ram timings over here.
    Notice how the first poster is using a slightly higher than
    expected Trcd. If your memory doesn't work well, try bumping
    up Trcd.

    http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67475&highlight=k8v
    http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58123&highlight=k8v

    This is a multi-thread group of posts on K8V, with some
    interesting info. I didn't read the whole thing, but it
    mentions there may be a PCI lock, but not an AGP lock.
    An older video card may allow a higher FSB overclock, if
    AGP is the only limit.

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=269891&page=1&pp=15

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 24, 2004