Jumping and being redirected to other search sites

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Jun 6, 2007.

    For the past month now, whenever I click on a link to a web site from any
    search engine, Yahoo, Excite, Live Search, Google, etc. I am redirected to
    other search engines or web sites that have nothing to do with the subject I
    am looking up. I have been told I have adware/malware/spyware. I have
    Computer Associates 2007 Security Suite, have done numerous system scans, ran
    a malicious sohtware scan from Microsoft web site and nothing has been found.
    When a jump occurs the initial address is
    http://67.29.139.220/jump/?affiliate=
    followed by symbols.

    Is there anyone who can help me understand what is taking place? I am not
    new to computers and have worked with the internet and Windows XP for several
    years but have never encountered anything like this before.

    Thank you in advance for any info you can give me and how to correct this
    frustrating situation.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 6, 2007

    Rock Guest

    "kadidid" wrote
    > For the past month now, whenever I click on a link to a web site from any
    > search engine, Yahoo, Excite, Live Search, Google, etc. I am redirected to
    > other search engines or web sites that have nothing to do with the subject
    > am looking up. I have been told I have adware/malware/spyware. I have
    > Computer Associates 2007 Security Suite, have done numerous system scans,
    > ran
    > a malicious sohtware scan from Microsoft web site and nothing has been
    > found.
    > When a jump occurs the initial address is
    > http://67.29.139.220/jump/?affiliate=
    > followed by symbols.
    >
    > Is there anyone who can help me understand what is taking place? I am not
    > new to computers and have worked with the internet and Windows XP for
    > several
    > years but have never encountered anything like this before.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any info you can give me and how to correct this
    > frustrating situation.

    You need more than one program to scan for and detect all the various non
    viral malware. Here are some links for dealing with non viral malware.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    --
    Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

    Rock, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Hello,

    Try performing a spyware scan by downloading and running
    SuperAntispyware from here

    http://www.superantispyware.com
    (the free HOME edition is sufficient for your needs)

    --
    Singapore Website Design
    http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/

    SingaporeWebDesign, Jun 6, 2007

    Thank you very much, I will certainly give these a try, will let you know if
    it works.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 8, 2007

    Thank you very much for the info, I will let you know if I am successful.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 8, 2007

    Hello, I downloaded superantispyware, used it, it found some tracking cookies
    and trojens, deleted them When trying searches again the same thing is
    happening. I am being redirected to unwanted search engines, everytime I
    click on the same link it will take me to different site each time. I am
    totally confused.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 9, 2007
  7. Hello,

    Try performing the scan again to ensure they were removed. If they still
    come back, post the name of the trojan.

    Also see this thread
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t89555.html
    especially this file that should solve your issue
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lonny/Fixwareout.exe

    SingaporeWebDesign, Jun 9, 2007

    Thank you for all your help. After trying everything I still was having
    trouble. I could click on a link on a search page 20 times and go to a
    different search engine each time. I have finally been able to take back
    control of my computer thanks to the Microsoft live scan....it found and
    cleaned my system of whatever was giving me so much grief.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 10, 2007

    Thank you, I will do that.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 10, 2007

    Hello,

    The trojan was Trojan.DNSChanger-Codec.
    I also keep getting Adware Tracking Cookie
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007

    I ended up doing a complete system restore, uninstalled computer associates
    and installed Windows Live One Care. It seems to be working alright now
    although I never really found anything that caused the problems I was
    experiencing. Perhaps it was missing files or some such.
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    --
    kadidid

    Guest, Jul 26, 2007