Jmicron eSATA controller

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Al, Nov 9, 2009.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I have a JMB36X Jmicron onboard (motherboard) eSATA controller.

    I am trying to use it with a Icy Dock MB881US-1S-1 SATA hard drive
    dock. This hard drive dock has the option to connect to my motherboard
    via eSATA. Kewl I thought.

    I firstly changed the bios options to enable eSATA controller and to
    use AHCI mode.

    I plugged a drive in and the drive showed up in windows (7) explorer,
    and I could browse the contents of the drive, although sometimes
    explorer folders had a very annoying pause before displaying contents
    of several seconds.

    Now comes the really stink bit, I wanted to backup the contents of the
    drive. I tried both acronis and drive image xml and both failed at the
    point where it actually started to backup the data.

    It failed in that nothing happened and eventually the operation times
    out.

    I tried to update the Jmicron driver in windows 7 and the driver
    updated ok (from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ )
    and I got to version :

    JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.51_WHQL.zip

    But I still cant update drives connected with this dock.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Cheers

    -Al

    Al, Nov 9, 2009

  2. Al wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have a JMB36X Jmicron onboard (motherboard) eSATA controller.
    >
    > I am trying to use it with a Icy Dock MB881US-1S-1 SATA hard drive
    > dock. This hard drive dock has the option to connect to my motherboard
    > via eSATA. Kewl I thought.

    Just in case:
    Does it require a patch SATA cable from a normal SATA port to the eSATA
    port? :)

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

    Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B), Nov 9, 2009

  3. Al

    Al Guest

    On Nov 10, 2:04 am, "Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)"
    <> wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    > > Hi Folks,

    > > I have a JMB36X Jmicron onboard (motherboard) eSATA controller.

    > > I am trying to use it with a Icy Dock MB881US-1S-1 SATA hard drive
    > > dock. This hard drive dock has the option to connect to my motherboard
    > > via eSATA. Kewl I thought.

    > Just in case:
    > Does it require a patch SATA cable from a normal SATA port to the eSATA
    > port? :)

    No - there is a native esata port on the back of the mobo.

    -Al

    Al, Nov 9, 2009