Jhon the Ripper

Reaction score
Can any one provide me with simple reference about JTR to understand the basic concept and how it works because I have list of questions about it and I am kind of lost .. I really appreciate your help

1. How does JTR actually “crack” the password file containing the hashes?
2. Can JTR crack any password file? Please explain why.
3. You used the default wordlist that comes with JTR to crack the password file, if you used a larger wordlist would it crack passwords much faster? Please explain why.
4. Can passwords with more complexity prevent tools like JTR from cracking them? Please explain why.
5. Can JTR use wordlists containing non-English characters?
6. If you have a faster computer, could you crack more passwords?
7. Are Unix type (e.g., Mac, Linux, etc.) operating systems better equipped to protect against password cracking then Windows systems?
8. Does an attacker need physical access to the computer in order to crack the password hash file?
9. How many passwords were you able to crack? List at least one.
10. How can Risk Assessors use tools like JTR to assess password standards?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't think you will get many people here helping you with, what to me looks like homework, never mind condoning the use of a 'hacking' program.

Maybe Mr Google will be more accommodating to your request. :)

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Asks about password cracking. Can't spell the name correctly. Irony anyone?

Ask a Question