    Are they a problem? If so, how do I fix it? If they're benign, what are they?
    Help, please.
    Dave Gillingham

    Dave Gillingham, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Dave Gillingham

    Malke Guest

    Dave Gillingham wrote:

    > I'm running Win XP Pro with security through AVG antivirus, Spybot,
    > AdAware, and
    > Kerio firewall. Recently I have noticed 22 files in my temp
    > directory, of the
    > form JET****.tmp (eg JET8A3E.tmp etc). If I try to delete them
    > Windows tells me
    > they are in use, but I'm not aware of any application running. My
    > security applications don't flag anything.

    They are files connected with the Microsoft JET Engine, used for
    databases.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Jet_Database_Engine

    So don't worry about it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Dave Gillingham

    Jerry Baker Guest

    Dave Gillingham wrote:
    > I'm running Win XP Pro with security through AVG antivirus, Spybot, AdAware, and
    > Kerio firewall. Recently I have noticed 22 files in my temp directory, of the
    > form JET****.tmp (eg JET8A3E.tmp etc). If I try to delete them Windows tells me
    > they are in use, but I'm not aware of any application running. My security
    > applications don't flag anything.

    Take a look at Process Explorer from Sysinternals. It will tell you what
    program is holding those files open.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/

    Jerry Baker, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Dave Gillingham

    Stan Brown Guest

    Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:33:00 -0800 from Jerry Baker
    <>:
    > Take a look at Process Explorer from Sysinternals. It will tell you what
    > program is holding those files open.
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/

    I like Process Explorer, but how do you get that information from it?
    None of the menu selections seemed relevant when I checked them just
    now. And the help index contains nothing beginning with "open" or
    "file".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Dave Gillingham

    Jerry Baker Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > I like Process Explorer, but how do you get that information from it?
    > None of the menu selections seemed relevant when I checked them just
    > now. And the help index contains nothing beginning with "open" or
    > "file".

    You're looking for file handles. A file handle is the way a program
    "handles" a file that it has open. Search for "jet" under file handles
    and see what turns up.

    Jerry Baker, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Dave Gillingham

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:52:57 -0800 from Jerry Baker
    <>:
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    > > I like Process Explorer, but how do you get that information from it?
    > > None of the menu selections seemed relevant when I checked them just
    > > now. And the help index contains nothing beginning with "open" or
    > > "file".

    > You're looking for file handles. A file handle is the way a program
    > "handles" a file that it has open. Search for "jet" under file handles
    > and see what turns up.

    Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something obvious, but I
    can't find how to display a list of file handles. Can you point out
    what I'm missing? (Is this perhaps a recent feature? I've got release
    9.25.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Dave Gillingham

    Jerry Baker Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something obvious, but I
    > can't find how to display a list of file handles. Can you point out
    > what I'm missing? (Is this perhaps a recent feature? I've got release
    > 9.25.)

    There is no list. Go to the menu bar at the top of the program and
    select Find -> Find Handle. Type in "jet" without the quotes and search.
    Find the file in question in the list of results.

    Jerry Baker, Feb 8, 2006
  8. Dave Gillingham

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:38:46 -0800 from Jerry Baker
    <>:
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    > > Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something obvious, but I
    > > can't find how to display a list of file handles. Can you point out
    > > what I'm missing? (Is this perhaps a recent feature? I've got release
    > > 9.25.)

    > There is no list. Go to the menu bar at the top of the program and
    > select Find -> Find Handle. Type in "jet" without the quotes and search.
    > Find the file in question in the list of results.

    Thanks! That, I understand.

    I'll drop the author a note suggesting an update to the help file.
    He's amazingly responsive, considering this is free software.

    And just to review, for anyone who doesn't have it -- Process
    Explorer is at
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html
    along with a lot of other useful utilities including Autoruns.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 8, 2006
  9. Thank you both for your response. Turns out, when I recently installed Roxio
    Easy Media Creator 8, it unilaterally concluded I wanted some part of it running
    at all times. The temp files are owned by RoxMediaDB.exe. What is particularly
    annoying is that I use PC Magazine's Startup Cop for Win XP to keep tabs on that
    sort of thing - and it doesn't show in the list!

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:24:15 +1000, Dave Gillingham
    <> wrote:

    >I'm running Win XP Pro with security through AVG antivirus, Spybot, AdAware, and
    >Kerio firewall. Recently I have noticed 22 files in my temp directory, of the
    >form JET****.tmp (eg JET8A3E.tmp etc). If I try to delete them Windows tells me
    >they are in use, but I'm not aware of any application running. My security
    >applications don't flag anything.
    >
    >Are they a problem? If so, how do I fix it? If they're benign, what are they?
    >Help, please.
    >Dave Gillingham
    >To email me remove the .private from my email address.

    Dave Gillingham

    Dave Gillingham, Feb 10, 2006