It's Far Too Much

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Euro Lottery finally won. STORY

IMO these enormous amounts are far too much for the average man in the street to cope with.(unless it's my daughter who's won, as she does this particular lottery :D)

I've heard many stories of winners' lives becoming a misery after winning large amounts.

Why not have lots of smaller prizes with a cap on the top prize.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you Niv. I most certainly don't have any problem with someone being lucky enough to enjoy a substantial win... but that is a crazy amount.

For most folk, a million or two, would be life-changing. But hundreds of millions, is the kind of money which could change the lives of hundreds of people.

Hmmm..... maybe PCR should form a syndicate :lol:.....Just kidding.

Reaction score
It was and is,the same as the football pools (are they still going?) When the big prize was won people would mutter that it was far to much and that it should smaller,nothing changed there then.
historian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If there wasn't such a huge jackpot, it wouldn't have got so many people entering - I know so many people that have been talking about this draw and it wouldn't normally come up in conversation... after all, who wants to "only" win 8 million quid :eek: :lol:.

I agree though, it's a crazy amount of money to win and could quite possibly do more harm than good in some cases. I just hope whoever wins has good friends and family, as I guess there must be all sorts of difficulties with winning such a large amount as well as the benefits.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
£161 million, stick that in your average Natwest currnet account and you'd earn around £18 million a year in interest. With the amount of interest it would earn, most of or probably all of us would be dead before we even touched the £161 million ( or iin my case, inflation would go ut the window and I wouldn't even be able to buy a pack of chewing gum with it ) BUt all that money and interest, I would leave it to me dog, just to p*ss everybody off.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
£161 million? Beggars belief, really, trying to comprehend the amount. Unless you're Bill Gates of course, he's used to it.

A person could actually put the odd £11mill aside to live on (For that amount you could buy a country mansion, a few flash motors and all the toys your heart desires then live off the interest of what's left.) and actually do a lot of good with £140mill.

Ok, let's say you splash out £5mill on friends and family just to shut them up, what could you do with £135 million to benefit your fellow man? Build a hospital? Start a Museum? A Leisure centre? A few hostels for homeless peeps? A University with reduced fees?

The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

I wonder if £135 million would be enough to start a theme park, like Alton Towers or Thorpe Park? If it is, that's what I'd do, then occasionally I'd close it for a day and just have friends and family in to party all day and enjoy the rides with no queues. Bliss :)

But it ain't gonna happen is it? I still be looking at the cheapo bargains in Sainsburys, Tesco et al when I shop.

Final thought: would being able to buy more or less anything you want actually make you happy? Or would it leave you frustrated, discontent, as you'd have little purpose, small ambition and nothing to strive for. Actually, I think I could cope with that ;)

Reaction score
[I've heard many stories of winners' lives becoming a misery after winning large amounts.]

I am willing to give it a try:lol:

Ask a Question