Windows Vista Is Vista SP2 OK Now?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have recently been prompted to download Vista SP2. I have had other promptings but have put it off because I read about problems with it. I have also re-read a thread from May of this year( https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3807382.php) where there were plenty of replies but it seemed that a few people still had unresolved problems and there seemed to be no satisfactory answers for them (Flops, Z, MadX). Others appeared very happy with things.

I'd be interested to know if the general feeling is that it is now OK to download or do the people with problems in May/June still have the same troubles?

Reaction score
Hey Niv,
I have vista over six months now and got SP2 as soom as it became available. It's had it's share of bugs, i must say. Now however, it seems fine....its nice and fast, if i use firefox, and keeps crashing and not responding with IE8. Every time i get updates it needs to tweaked a little as it changes everything to automatic i.e, downloading updates and installing them without permission etc.
Apart from that i think it's good and well worth getting. It also freed up a lot of space on my HDD.
You can always uninstall lol

Reaction score
Hi Niv

I have had SP2 running fine for sometime now ..I'd say go ahead and let it download and install...:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You should install, never had a problem meself

:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
No problems here either, however, the PC I use with Vista is the one in the office and not at home. AT home I have Linux on me lappy.:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I did have problems installing SP2 as may have been noted from the thread linked to above. In short - it wouldn't :D

But I recently carried out a fresh install of Vista and the first two things I installed after AntiVirus software were SP1 & SP2 which both installed without problems.

No problems but significantly - no perceived improvements either.

I'd say go ahead, I may have noticed no improvements but I suppose there are always things going on 'under the bonnet'.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Until recently, I was using XP SP2 on my laptop without a hitch. I didn't notice much difference between SP1 and SP2, but there are a few under the hood security benefits that come with it :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks a lot fellas. :thumb:

I have now downloaded SP2 and it appears to have gone very smoothly. Can't really say that I can notice any difference in speed so far but will see how it goes over the next week or so.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Until recently, I was using XP SP2 on my laptop without a hitch. I didn't notice much difference between SP1 and SP2, but there are a few under the hood security benefits that come with it :).

Bit behind the times ain't you Ian :p most folk have been using SP3 with XP for months now.
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Mind you if you were using VISTA I bet you would have SP2 installed by now
laughingsmiley.gif
:p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Installed Vista SP2 on both the GF's and bros lappys on the day it came out. been fine. :)

Ask a Question