Windows XP is this true ?!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok i've been reading the news as usual and have just come accross a very worrying article about DRM

Microsoft's PowerHit system is a DRM application keyed to the company's Power Management technology. Starting at midnight on December 1, all users of Windows 2000 and higher will receive automatic system updates which will instruct desktops, laptops and PDAs running appropriate MS OS software to release a 125-volt anti-p2p DRM 'charge' into computer chassis every users attempt to play unauthorised iTunes tracks.

now im thinking 125V through your computer will screw it over big time but isnt that kinda impossible because the PSU steps it down to 12V ??, this cant be true or microsoft will be owing alot of people alot of money and i will be extremely
icon_bicker.gif

article is here http://p2pnet.net/story/6867

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes ... No

Sure, they are getting better and better at protecting their Copywrite, but that's about it. You are gonna find it impossible to play anything ... so don't buy it. ;)

Fair Play feedback 'instructs' the buds to emit a piercing, high-pitched scream in stereo at 250 decibels.
Yeah right, popycrap. That would surly ensure a Law suite of 500,000 or so .. as sending "125-volt anti-p2p DRM 'charge' into computer chassis" what a load of twaddle.

:rolleyes:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yes ... No

Sure, they are getting better and better at protecting their Copywrite, but that's about it. You are gonna find it impossible to play anything ... so don't buy it. ;)

Yeah right, popycrap. That would surly ensure a Law suite of 500,000 or so .. as sending "125-volt anti-p2p DRM 'charge' into computer chassis" what a load of twaddle.

:rolleyes:

i thought it was, just checking

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Quote:
Fair Play feedback 'instructs' the buds to emit a piercing, high-pitched scream in stereo at 250 decibels.

Simple laws of physics here, if the sound pressure of a jet plane taking off at 1m is approx 140 dBa, I would dearly love to know how the hell a pair of ear buds could produce 250 dBa. :eek:

I was going to calculate just how many time louder that would make the ear buds, but I gave up trying to work out the log scale!:confused:

If they could actually produce that level of sound I think there would be plenty of PA manufacturers interested in the new technology!:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
gabriella said:
What exactly does all this mean??

Gabs xx
Don't download, copy, convert to MP3, listen, enjoy any music, DVD or film unless you pay us for it ... or we will make your life hell. ;)

Oh, no wait, they do that already ... :D

Gabby, it's all about copywrite. :thumb:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
OK - so what about this - converting shop bought CDs to MP3 format via Nero - is that OK to do or not??

Love

Gabs xx

muckshifter

Reaction score
gabriella said:
OK - so what about this - converting shop bought CDs to MP3 format via Nero - is that OK to do or not??

Love

Gabs xx
Well err, hmmm, it is still 'technically' illegal ... but for your own personal use we here in the UK get away with it ... What the music & film industry are really peeved about is the amount of 'stuff' you can download off the Net.

I have 12 hours of MP3s on my PC ... but that is for me, I ain't sharing them, I just want to listen without the bother of finding the next track ... but if I started to use one of them P2P programs to 'share' my music, then I'm gonna deserve all I get off the Law.

;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Mucks and others

Just to clarify - CD to MP3 format is entirely for personal use in my household - playing music on MP3/PC.

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
In the UK I don’t think the NHS. ENT. Department would abide by that decision, with those decibels [250 dBa.] we would all end up being deaf?????:eek:
WHAT DID YOU SAY:D

Ask a Question