Is this 'system32/printer.exe' warning a Trojan Virus?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm brand new to this forum and I'm hoping somebody can help me out...

When I log on to my computer, the following things are bugging me:

1) I get the following message right away:
Windows cannot find 'c:/windows/system32/printer.exe'

2) Microsoft Word cannot seem to find the correct printer and connect to it.

3) My Administrator functions are not available and I get a message that "restrictions are in effect on this computer".

I am using Windows XP and I attached the HijackThis log below.

I am a total novice at this and don't really even know what a Trojan or a worm is... I just know that my computer is being really annoying... :(

Attachments

• loghijackthis.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 342

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Ah, had a problem posting then meant to add you want the blue box at the bottom that says free home version.

Reaction score
I have a really good spyware program (PrevX) and that did not catch it... I am wary of downloading a bunch of anti-spy programs I'm not familiar with because:

a) they don't catch anything
b) they give you more viruses

I'm looking for someone that can maybe tell me exactly where the problem file is... or what it is...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Super Anti Spyware is considered the best program out there at the moment, give it a go.

Reaction score
the best way i know how to deal with trojans and viruses and all that crap is by restarting in safe mode (F8 on boot) and running a trusted anti-virus software then spybot thereafter. those eyesores will become a thing of the past in no time.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
SignFire said:
I have a really good spyware program (PrevX) and that did not catch it... I am wary of downloading a bunch of anti-spy programs I'm not familiar with because:

a) they don't catch anything
b) they give you more viruses

I'm looking for someone that can maybe tell me exactly where the problem file is... or what it is...
You are right to be sceptical about anti-spyware programs you are not familiar with, however no regulars here would recommend downloading a program that wasn't trusted or effective - and SuperAntispyware is both.

Your problem does seem to be malware/trojan related, so scan in safe mode as suggested above.

Another good and free program to use is a-squared.

However, after googling I think you will probably need more expert help for complete removal from somewhere like BleepingComputer.com.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just read through your HijackThis log again - can I suggest once you get the PC sorted, that you download Windows Defender, which is available free from microsoft and offers some realtime protection.

Also I recommend you get rid of your Symantec/Norton antivirus and install a good one like NOD32 or Kaspersky which may prevent you getting these sort of things in the first place.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Also I recommend you get rid of your Symantec/Norton antivirus and install a good one like NOD32 or Kaspersky which may prevent you getting these sort of things in the first place.

i second that. norton may sound like a household name for anti-virus software manufacturers, but these days, their "updates" are simply not cutting it.

Ask a Question