Is This Security Adequate?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010 on my PC and installed it on my Brother's XP desktop PC, as I had a license for 3 computers to put it on.

Kaspersky Database stopped "updating" on my Brother's PC for some reason saying that Kaspersky's Database File was Corrupted....when I reinstalled Kasperky it was OK for a few wks and the same problem started again. Rather than turning it into a long saga and getting to the bottom of it, I just decided to install new security programs on his PC.

I've put on free Avast Antivirus 5.0.545 which also comes with spyware protection I think and gives "real time" protection; free Comodo Internet Security 4.1.150349 as a firewall; and he already had Malwarebytes on his PC.

He is also a light internet user and doesn't surf the web for the sake of it; and has got Web of Trust on his Firefox browser as an added precaution.

I know no programs offer 100% protection and Kasperky is a very well respected program (my one is free as a Barclays online customer), but is his PC security level adequate and comforting enough with the software I have installed?

Please feel free to make alternative suggestions.

Thank you!

Jay

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks ok to me, you could also use Superantispyware anti-Malware software (free) as well, the programs won't clash and what one misses the other may pick up.

I personally favour Antivir for antivirus protection as independent reviews consistently show it being able to detect the most nasties. Others will disagree though as Antivir does sometimes throw up some false alarms through detecting 'False Positives' and it also doesn't have e-mail protection.

However, a free version of Mailwasher (free version will only cover one e-mail account) can cover that angle.

Quite odd about your experience with Kaspersky, it's normally bullet-proof.

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

My Brother's PC connects to a wireless router via a USB Adapter, and he removes the USB Adapter and always turns PC off when not in use.

In the Update section for Avast, it is set to update automatically......in Settings you can check one of the 2 following options (don't have to) to make it easier for automatic updates I think:

The PC has a dial up internet connection

The PC is permanently connected to the internet

I'm sure other security software have this in their settings too.....I'm not sure which one of the two my Brother's internet connection is and if I should choose any of them in respect to automatic updating?

Thank you.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The "new kid" on the block, which has received substantial support from the antivirus community is ... Microsoft Security Essentials ... it is FREE and unlike some, does check your emails.

In AV Comparative's most recent report on malware removal, MSE was the only free antivirus rated Advanced+. That ranking placed it alongside big names like Norton, Kaspersky, and F-Secure. Security Essentials also beat out technician favorite ESET, which managed only an Advanced rating.

It's also worth noting that only three antivirus apps - Norton 2010, eScan, and Security Essentials - scored marks of good or better in removal of malware and removal of leftovers. So not only has MSE beaten free competitors like AVG (version 8.5 tested, not 9.0), Avira, and Avast, it also posted test scores equal to or better than a dozen antivirus programs you'd have to pay for.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...us-for-windows-microsoft-security-essentials/

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/10/av-comparatives-picks-six-malware-removal-winners.ars

http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144&Itemid=152

:D

oh, and I would also recommend, if you ain't to sure of yourself, in running Superantispyware once in awhile ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Following on from my original post, my brother's PC has been fine with the security software I installed. Thank you all for your input!

Before I installed those security programs, I uninstalled a free security software called Rapport on his PC, which is offered with Natwest's Online Banking. I thought it might conflict with the software I was about to install. To date, he hasn't had any problems, but for future reference, did I do the right thing?

Also, anyone who is familiar with Rapport; is it actually effective and enhances security for Online Banking in any way?

Thank you!

Jay

muckshifter

Reaction score
not on my PC

My bank pesters me with the same "crap" every time I logon ... I refuse, they know NOTHING about security, you seen the feckin size on the padlock they use, and they still lose money. ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

My Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 (Which I got free with Barclays) expires in a few days. I went on Barclays' website and they still only seem to have the 2011 version on offer, not the 2012 one.
I can still get a renewal code to carry on using kaspersky 2011 for another year.

I was wondering, is it perfectly safe and sufficient to carry on using Kaspersky 2011 for another year?

Thanks.:)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I was wondering, is it perfectly safe and sufficient to carry on using Kaspersky 2011 for another year?

Thanks.:)

I would say yes carry on using KIS, its a good bit of software, and you're getting it free ( always a bonus )

muckshifter

Reaction score
Tell the bank, if they do not understand the importance of keeping any software up-to-date, especially an Anti-Virus program that they are obviously endorsing, then they should stick to banking. One day they may get that bit right. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, what V_R said, renew for free, then upgrade.

If Kaspersky won't upgrade for some reason, I'd uninstall it and use either freebie Microsft Security Essentials or Avast.

I have both Barclays and Natwest accounts, Natwest are always trying to foist that rubbish on me. I've never used Kaspersky. I use MSE on 2 and Avast on 1.

Ask a Question