Is there any way to reduce size of .pst file?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook' started by katy, Apr 10, 2004.

  1. katy

    katy Guest

    Hi all,

    I have imported my .pst file over the past 3 yrs. from CD backup each time I
    had to format. The current size is 438+mb. I have deleted, deleted
    deletions and compacted many many times. Yet the size of the .pst file
    remains the same and only increases. My performance in opening is
    pathetically slow, and I believe it's because of size. (no images accounting
    for size).

    I was told of a method to make that megabyte size more accurately reflect
    the actual amount of emails inside over a yr. ago but I cannot find that
    method.

    Would anyone know how I can reduce that size to more accurately reflect the
    emails within Outlook? This huge size is what is shown in Explore when I
    search for the .pst file.

    Thanks anyone for any help..... or advice on how to save my Inbox, and all
    individual folders under Personal Folders to a separate place on my hard
    drive so I can then import into a new version of Personal Folders, to start
    over fresh.

    katy

    katy, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Compacting is the only method for reducint the size of the Outlook file.
    450 MB is not large. I currently have a 1.2 gig .pst and Outlook
    experiences no performance problems.

    My .pst file size at work is around 600 MB and also has no performance
    problems.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

    After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, katy asked:

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Apr 10, 2004

  3. katy

    katy Guest

    Thank you Milly, I won't worry anymore then! I'll just keep importing, and
    it's good to know it's not so bad :)
    katy

    katy, Apr 10, 2004
  4. What are you importing? An Outlook.pst file does NOT need importing - just
    use the file->open in Outlook to access your data. When you have found what
    you need, right click on the .pst file and select "close." No need to
    import and lose important data.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    "katy" <> wrote in message
    | Thank you Milly, I won't worry anymore then! I'll just keep importing,
    and
    | it's good to know it's not so bad :)
    | katy
    |
    | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
    <>
    | wrote in message news:...
    | > Compacting is the only method for reducint the size of the Outlook file.
    | > 450 MB is not large. I currently have a 1.2 gig .pst and Outlook
    | > experiences no performance problems.
    | >
    | > My .pst file size at work is around 600 MB and also has no performance
    | > problems.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
    | >
    | > Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
    | > the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal
    | > account will be deleted without reading.
    | >
    | > After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, katy asked:
    | >
    | > | Hi all,
    | > |
    | > | I have imported my .pst file over the past 3 yrs. from CD backup each
    | > | time I had to format. The current size is 438+mb. I have deleted,
    | > | deleted deletions and compacted many many times. Yet the size of the
    | > | .pst file remains the same and only increases. My performance in
    | > | opening is pathetically slow, and I believe it's because of size. (no
    | > | images accounting for size).
    | > |
    | > | I was told of a method to make that megabyte size more accurately
    | > | reflect the actual amount of emails inside over a yr. ago but I
    | > | cannot find that method.
    | > |
    | > | Would anyone know how I can reduce that size to more accurately
    | > | reflect the emails within Outlook? This huge size is what is shown
    | > | in Explore when I search for the .pst file.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks anyone for any help..... or advice on how to save my Inbox,
    | > | and all individual folders under Personal Folders to a separate place
    | > | on my hard drive so I can then import into a new version of Personal
    | > | Folders, to start over fresh.
    | > |

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Apr 10, 2004
  5. katy

    Chris Guest

    1.2GB is beginning to get large. I have seen many pst files start to have
    corruption problems begin around that size. Microsoft says that you should
    not go above 2GB, but I have seen problems in smaller ones (as stated
    above).

    Chris, Apr 12, 2004
  6. katy

    Guest

    On Saturday, 10 April 2004 05:18:04 UTC+5:30, katy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have imported my .pst file over the past 3 yrs. from CD backup each time I
    > had to format. The current size is 438+mb. I have deleted, deleted
    > deletions and compacted many many times. Yet the size of the .pst file
    > remains the same and only increases. My performance in opening is
    > pathetically slow, and I believe it's because of size. (no images accounting
    > for size).
    >
    > I was told of a method to make that megabyte size more accurately reflect
    > the actual amount of emails inside over a yr. ago but I cannot find that
    > method.
    >
    > Would anyone know how I can reduce that size to more accurately reflect the
    > emails within Outlook? This huge size is what is shown in Explore when I
    > search for the .pst file.
    >
    > Thanks anyone for any help..... or advice on how to save my Inbox, and all
    > individual folders under Personal Folders to a separate place on my hard
    > drive so I can then import into a new version of Personal Folders, to start
    > over fresh.
    >
    > katy

    Milly is absolutely correct, 450MB is not a mammoth of a size and you don'tneed to worry about such. Nevertheless, just keep compacting the PST file again and again when the file size and don't let it to reach the maximum size limit beyond which you gonna start having problems.

    You can have a better idea on this from: http://splitpstfiles.com

    , Jul 23, 2012