Is there any harm in installing too much RAM?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by wylbur37, Sep 15, 2010.

  1. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    I'm aware that you can use RAM that's of a higher or lower speed
    than the computer expects. (It'll just run at whatever
    the lower speed is).

    But what if you put in a higher *amount* of memory
    than the computer expects?
    For example, suppose you have an old desktop computer
    that has 2 slots, each with a maximum capacity of 128MB each.
    If you put in 2 RAM modules, each with 512MB, the computer
    will likely still work (although it'll only recognize and use
    the first 128MB of each module).

    But besides wasting RAM, is there any actual harm in doing this?
    For example, can this cause the operating system to malfunction
    or for data to be corrupted?

    wylbur37, Sep 15, 2010

  2. wylbur37

    pjp Guest

    "wylbur37" <> wrote in message
    > I'm aware that you can use RAM that's of a higher or lower speed
    > than the computer expects. (It'll just run at whatever
    > the lower speed is).
    >
    > But what if you put in a higher *amount* of memory
    > than the computer expects?
    > For example, suppose you have an old desktop computer
    > that has 2 slots, each with a maximum capacity of 128MB each.
    > If you put in 2 RAM modules, each with 512MB, the computer
    > will likely still work (although it'll only recognize and use
    > the first 128MB of each module).
    >
    > But besides wasting RAM, is there any actual harm in doing this?
    > For example, can this cause the operating system to malfunction
    > or for data to be corrupted?

    Other than I can't see why you'd want to put more ram in a pc than the specs
    say it'll take maxed out, I suppose if you got the spare ram around give it
    a go. Sounds like it'd be very motherboard dependant though. Only thing I
    can recall might be any kind of a problem is something to do with 98/98SE
    and more than 512 megs ram.

    pjp, Sep 15, 2010

  3. wylbur37

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "wylbur37" <> wrote in message
    > I'm aware that you can use RAM that's of a higher or lower speed
    > than the computer expects. (It'll just run at whatever
    > the lower speed is).
    >
    > But what if you put in a higher *amount* of memory
    > than the computer expects?
    > For example, suppose you have an old desktop computer
    > that has 2 slots, each with a maximum capacity of 128MB each.
    > If you put in 2 RAM modules, each with 512MB, the computer
    > will likely still work (although it'll only recognize and use
    > the first 128MB of each module).
    >
    > But besides wasting RAM, is there any actual harm in doing this?
    > For example, can this cause the operating system to malfunction
    > or for data to be corrupted?

    There might be some computers where it won't start if it has a ram
    configuration that it doesn't recognise. In this case the BIOS will tell you
    it doesn't like the memory configuration. But I'd expect that the BIOS will
    just limit the amount of memory you can use - I had a laptop which had 768MB
    of RAM installed but the BIOS would only ever see 512MB. I also had a
    Windows Vista (32bit) pc which briefly had 6GB of RAM installed, the BIOS
    would see all of it but Vista would only let me use 4GB (3.5GB really), so I
    ended up taking the extra RAM out and using it elsewhere.

    So, worst case, the BIOS will complain. If it won't start then take out any
    excess RAM, but beyond that it shouldn't harm anything (not as far as I
    know).
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Sep 15, 2010
  4. wylbur37

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 15/09/2010 02:36, wylbur37 wrote:
    > I'm aware that you can use RAM that's of a higher or lower speed
    > than the computer expects. (It'll just run at whatever
    > the lower speed is).
    >
    > But what if you put in a higher *amount* of memory
    > than the computer expects?
    > For example, suppose you have an old desktop computer
    > that has 2 slots, each with a maximum capacity of 128MB each.
    > If you put in 2 RAM modules, each with 512MB, the computer
    > will likely still work (although it'll only recognize and use
    > the first 128MB of each module).
    >
    > But besides wasting RAM, is there any actual harm in doing this?
    > For example, can this cause the operating system to malfunction
    > or for data to be corrupted?

    What a pointless exercise.

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 15, 2010
  5. wylbur37

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:36:30 -0700, wylbur37 wrote:

    > I'm aware that you can use RAM that's of a higher or lower speed than
    > the computer expects. (It'll just run at whatever the lower speed is).
    >
    > But what if you put in a higher *amount* of memory than the computer
    > expects?
    > For example, suppose you have an old desktop computer that has 2 slots,
    > each with a maximum capacity of 128MB each. If you put in 2 RAM modules,
    > each with 512MB, the computer will likely still work (although it'll
    > only recognize and use the first 128MB of each module).
    >
    > But besides wasting RAM, is there any actual harm in doing this? For
    > example, can this cause the operating system to malfunction or for data
    > to be corrupted?

    Probably wouldn't boot if anything.

    Meat Plow, Sep 15, 2010
  6. wylbur37

    Hugh Jorgan Guest

    Notice to all! ~BD~ is a NUTJOB!

    Hugh Jorgan, Sep 15, 2010
  7. wylbur37

    Brian Cryer Guest

    Re: Notice to all! PETER FOLDES is a LIAR!

    "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > OT - Message for Brian Cryer
    > ***********************
    >
    > Just thought you'd like to know what 'Peter Foldes' says about *you* in
    > another group!

    <snip>

    Interesting, thank you. We all know that there are many imature people on
    the internet. Perhaps he was having a bad day, because his advice in this
    thread was quite reasonable. I'm not going to play the flame game, too many
    more constructive things to do.

    > I recently followed your advice and upgraded my wife's laptop by
    > installing a 1GB card from Crucial!
    >
    > Thanks for your good and valued advice.

    Glad you found it useful. Thank you.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Sep 16, 2010
  8. wylbur37

    Twayne Guest

    BD is a MORON: Re: Notice to all! PETER FOLDES is a LIAR!

    In news:,
    ~BD~ <~BD~@nomail.afraid> typed:

    > OT - Message for Brian Cryer
    > ***********************
    >
    > Just thought you'd like to know what 'Peter Foldes' says
    > about *you* in another group!
    >
    > "And especially Brian Cryer who gives some really idiotic
    > crap advice."
    >
    > Ref:
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.politics.scorched-earth/msg/f254fc61411591c9?hl=en
    >

    > You might also wish to know about this thread too, Brian.
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/al.../browse_thread/thread/08458e9fd3435823?hl=en#
    >
    > I recently followed your advice and upgraded my wife's
    > laptop by installing a 1GB card from Crucial!
    >
    > Thanks for your good and valued advice.
    >
    > David B.

    I don't necessarily think Peter Foldes has the most interpersonal skills on
    the 'net, but your TWO sampl URLs from ONE location (where there are also
    posers and liars galore), but I could really GAS that you feel the need to
    spew your tripe in a slew of non-related newsgroups.

    One more for the booger list, I'm afraid. Wonder why your name reminds me of
    the color maroon? Or is it Bleen colored? Yeah, that's it; Bleen. Hmm, and
    then there's blatherskite. No life comes to mind too, considering the work
    you did to assemble a useless copy list.

    Twayne, Sep 17, 2010