Is there a way to setup a 'scheduled' print to keep the jets unblocked??

Discussion in 'Printers' started by jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am struggling to get my MP360 heads unblocked. The printer was left
    unused for a few months and all of the jets were completely blocked.

    I am convinced that this down to using 'cheap' inks.. Whilst the print
    quality is comparible to Canon inks, I wonder if they co-agulate much
    quicker, which is why my jets are now blocked!

    I have tried everything to unblock it, even going as far as out of
    desperation, soaking the head in windolene, but to date have only
    managed to unblock 50% of the jets.

    Fortunatly, I have a spare head, so if worse comes to worse, I am going
    to swap it out and learn from my mistakes.

    I am wondering if there is a utility available to do a 'test print'
    every week or so, to keep the printer 'clean'.

    I have searched and havn't come up with anything, but I would imagine
    that this is the only way to ensure that the printer keeps unblocked
    (other than remembering to use it ever so often).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this

    Jon

    , Mar 16, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    writes
    >I am struggling to get my MP360 heads unblocked. The printer was left
    >unused for a few months and all of the jets were completely blocked.
    >
    >I am convinced that this down to using 'cheap' inks.. Whilst the print
    >quality is comparible to Canon inks, I wonder if they co-agulate much
    >quicker, which is why my jets are now blocked!
    >
    >I have tried everything to unblock it, even going as far as out of
    >desperation, soaking the head in windolene, but to date have only
    >managed to unblock 50% of the jets.
    >
    >Fortunatly, I have a spare head, so if worse comes to worse, I am going
    >to swap it out and learn from my mistakes.
    >
    >I am wondering if there is a utility available to do a 'test print'
    >every week or so, to keep the printer 'clean'.
    >
    >I have searched and havn't come up with anything, but I would imagine
    >that this is the only way to ensure that the printer keeps unblocked
    >(other than remembering to use it ever so often).
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this
    >
    >Jon

    Can't you just record a macro, using AutoIt or something similar, to run
    a nozzle check and then call that from the Task Scheduler at the
    required intervals?

    I wouldn't recommend it though - you will need to leave your printer on
    all the time and keep it charged up with paper.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Mar 16, 2005

    > >I am wondering if there is a utility available to do a 'test print'
    > >every week or so, to keep the printer 'clean'.
    > >
    > >I have searched and havn't come up with anything, but I would

    imagine
    > >that this is the only way to ensure that the printer keeps unblocked
    > >(other than remembering to use it ever so often).
    > >
    > >Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this
    > >
    > >Jon
    > >

    > Can't you just record a macro, using AutoIt or something similar, to

    run
    > a nozzle check and then call that from the Task Scheduler at the
    > required intervals?
    >
    > I wouldn't recommend it though - you will need to leave your printer

    on
    > all the time and keep it charged up with paper.
    > --
    > Kennedy

    So, if I understand your comment, "AutoIt" will actually record a Makro
    of mouse movement and button presses so I could make it do a nozzle
    check? I will look into that, as its a good idea.

    Leaving the printer on isn't a problem, as its on all the time anyway..
    And the paper isn't a major concern, as I would rather waste a sheet of
    paper every week, than go to the expense of replacing the inks and/or
    head, everytime I want to use the printer.

    I never did manage to unblock the head.. I have no gone through several
    carts, trying to 'deep clean' it, but have had no luck.. Going to
    replace the head and see what happens.

    Cheers

    Jon

    , Mar 17, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    writes

    >So, if I understand your comment, "AutoIt" will actually record a Makro
    >of mouse movement and button presses so I could make it do a nozzle
    >check?

    Yes - there used to be an applet that shipped with Windows itself,
    called Recorder, that did this too, but it wasn't included with Win95 or
    subsequent versions. If you have some old Win3.1 disks though you might
    still find it on there and I believe it still works under current
    versions of Windows.

    >Leaving the printer on isn't a problem, as its on all the time anyway..
    >And the paper isn't a major concern, as I would rather waste a sheet of
    >paper every week, than go to the expense of replacing the inks and/or
    >head, everytime I want to use the printer.

    There is something perverse about leaving the printer on all the time
    and printing less than once a week.

    No wonder your printer head is blocked! When the printer is switched
    off at the front panel button the heads are capped to prevent them from
    drying out and blocking. If you leave it on or switch off at the mains
    lead then the head can remain uncapped, resulting in severe blockages.
    When left on you also have power being dissipated inside the printer,
    raising the internal temperature by a few degrees and increasing the
    rate that ink dries and the blockages occur.

    >I never did manage to unblock the head.. I have no gone through several
    >carts, trying to 'deep clean' it, but have had no luck.. Going to
    >replace the head and see what happens.

    If you operate the same use strategy then you will just get the same
    results. Switch the printer OFF if it will not be used for extended
    periods!
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Mar 17, 2005

    Hmmm.. Interesting.

    I never thought of it that way before.. But to some extent I am
    sceptical.. Surely when the printer goes into 'standby', it effectivly
    shuts itself down.. And goes to sleep.. Would it really leave the print
    head in a different condition as it would if you turned it off?

    The heat, I buy.. But the 'uncapped head'.. I am not so sure. Having
    the printer on Standby is something that I like.. I like the fact that
    at any time, I can scan/print something, without switching it on.. I
    know this is lazy, but its just one of those things that I like.

    But I will take the advice on board and learn from it when I replace
    the head.

    Jon

    , Mar 17, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    writes
    >Hmmm.. Interesting.
    >
    >I never thought of it that way before.. But to some extent I am
    >sceptical.. Surely when the printer goes into 'standby', it effectivly
    >shuts itself down.. And goes to sleep.. Would it really leave the print
    >head in a different condition as it would if you turned it off?

    Yes. Switch it off from the front panel after it has gone into standby
    and it still takes a few seconds to cap the head first.

    >The heat, I buy.. But the 'uncapped head'.. I am not so sure.

    >Having
    >the printer on Standby is something that I like.. I like the fact that
    >at any time, I can scan/print something, without switching it on.. I
    >know this is lazy, but its just one of those things that I like.

    Learn to like the expense of new heads and carts every time you use it
    then - the two go hand in hand.

    >But I will take the advice on board and learn from it when I replace
    >the head.

    Given that the head probably hasn't been capped since you got the
    printer, changing the head will probably be insufficient to prevent the
    problem reoccurring. You will almost certainly have encrusted dried ink
    residue around the cap area which will prevent it from sealing at all
    now. You will need to open the printer up and thoroughly clean this
    entire area of dried ink before the printer will operate as intended.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Mar 17, 2005
  7. Bob Headrick Guest

    "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > writes
    >>Leaving the printer on isn't a problem, as its on all the time anyway..
    >>And the paper isn't a major concern, as I would rather waste a sheet of
    >>paper every week, than go to the expense of replacing the inks and/or
    >>head, everytime I want to use the printer.
    >>

    > There is something perverse about leaving the printer on all the time and
    > printing less than once a week.
    >
    > No wonder your printer head is blocked! When the printer is switched off at
    > the front panel button the heads are capped to prevent them from drying out
    > and blocking. If you leave it on or switch off at the mains lead then the
    > head can remain uncapped, resulting in severe blockages.

    It would be a very poor design that did what you describe. The printers I am
    familiar with will automatically cap the printheads shortly after a print job
    finishes. The printer may do an extra service (some spitting and wiping) when
    the power is turned off and this service may sound like the printer is capping.
    I would be very very surprised if any printer leaves cartridges out in the open
    air for any appreciable length of time after a print job is completed.

    Switching a printer off at the mains is a bad idea, as the printer may not have
    had a chance to properly cap. Additionally, most printers have an internal
    clock to determine how long it has been since the last print job. This
    information is used to determine how much servicing is appropriate. If you do
    not keep the printer plugged into a live outlet the printer may lose track of
    time and use more ink unnecessarily as it cannot tell how long since the last
    print.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick

    Bob Headrick, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Bill 2 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am struggling to get my MP360 heads unblocked. The printer was left
    > unused for a few months and all of the jets were completely blocked.
    >
    > I am convinced that this down to using 'cheap' inks.. Whilst the print
    > quality is comparible to Canon inks, I wonder if they co-agulate much
    > quicker, which is why my jets are now blocked!
    >
    > I have tried everything to unblock it, even going as far as out of
    > desperation, soaking the head in windolene, but to date have only
    > managed to unblock 50% of the jets.
    >
    > Fortunatly, I have a spare head, so if worse comes to worse, I am going
    > to swap it out and learn from my mistakes.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is a utility available to do a 'test print'
    > every week or so, to keep the printer 'clean'.
    >
    > I have searched and havn't come up with anything, but I would imagine
    > that this is the only way to ensure that the printer keeps unblocked
    > (other than remembering to use it ever so often).
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this

    Assuming you have Windows:

    Easiest if your printer is connected by a parallel port, or printer is
    mapped to a parallel port (for DOS compatability).

    Create a "c:\printer" subdirectory / folder

    Prepare your "test" printout in whatever application you want. Go to print,
    select the printer and select the "print to file" option.

    When asked where to save it, save as "c:\printer\test.prn"

    next open up notepad. In it type these two lines:
    "

    print /d:LPT1 c:\printer\test.prn
    cls

    "

    save as c:\printer\testprint.bat

    Use shedualing software of your choice, select the time of your choice, and
    get it to run "c:\printer\testprint.bat"

    I don't know about using USB printers, but syntax for the PRINT command is

    "print /d:device [path\file]"

    If you can figure out the device name for a USB printer it would work. A
    parallel printer's name is "LPT1" (or LPT2 or LPT3). I know it works for
    networked printers:

    "print /d:\\computer\share [path\file]"

    Bill 2, Mar 17, 2005
  9. PC Medic Guest

    > In article <>,
    > writes
    >>Hmmm.. Interesting.
    >>
    >>I never thought of it that way before.. But to some extent I am
    >>sceptical.. Surely when the printer goes into 'standby', it effectivly
    >>shuts itself down.. And goes to sleep.. Would it really leave the print
    >>head in a different condition as it would if you turned it off?
    >>

    > Yes. Switch it off from the front panel after it has gone into standby and
    > it still takes a few seconds to cap the head first.

    Well sort of. The head is actually already capped in StandBy mode.
    However when you power off it cycles slightly (cleaning) before shutting
    down and then recaps the head

    >>The heat, I buy.. But the 'uncapped head'.. I am not so sure.

    >>Having
    >>the printer on Standby is something that I like.. I like the fact that
    >>at any time, I can scan/print something, without switching it on.. I
    >>know this is lazy, but its just one of those things that I like.
    >>

    > Learn to like the expense of new heads and carts every time you use it
    > then - the two go hand in hand.
    >
    >>But I will take the advice on board and learn from it when I replace
    >>the head.
    >>

    > Given that the head probably hasn't been capped since you got the printer,
    > changing the head will probably be insufficient to prevent the problem
    > reoccurring. You will almost certainly have encrusted dried ink residue
    > around the cap area which will prevent it from sealing at all now. You
    > will need to open the printer up and thoroughly clean this entire area of
    > dried ink before the printer will operate as intended.
    > --

    Given that the head should cap automatically after every use (provided power
    is not removed indirectly),
    I doubt this would be needed.

    PC Medic, Mar 18, 2005
  10. Re: Is there a way to setup a 'scheduled' print to keep the jetsunblocked??

    I noticed that the first several of generations of Epson printers,
    although they returned the head to the parking position (where the
    cleaning station/capping mechanism was located) did not complete the
    full positional shut down until they printer was shut off. Upon shut
    down, the heads would move an additional part of an inch further right.
    Upon studying the design of the capping system, I determined that this
    addition head motion did two things. 1) It brought the cleaning
    station/capping collar higher to press the rubberized edge more firmly
    on the head surface, and 2) there was an air valve that was spring
    loaded and was pressed against a wall which sealed the hole which
    otherwise would allow for air to have access to the head through the
    cleaning station.

    Eventually, Epson both removed the air valve mechanism, redesigning the
    cleaning station to no longer require it, and the printers went through
    a more complete capping process after a certain amount of time elapsed
    since the printer head was last used.

    I am not absolutely sure, but it would appear that most modern Epson
    printers do an adequate if not complete capping process even if not
    fully turned off at the front on/off button via a timed capping.
    However, I would agree that there is likely both additional heat
    dissipation and wasted electricity (although minimal, and wearing of
    components by leaving the unit on long term. Since most inkjet printer
    seems to have a timer built in, leaving them on probably doesn't avoid
    any start up cleaning cycles.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Mar 18, 2005