Is there a cable that transfers files from one PC to another?

Reaction score
All I need to do is copy my hard drive contents from one PC to another.

It's because I'm working on 2 separate PC's at the moment. I don't have time to network (as I have an urgent deadline). And my external hard drive is too slow to use for transferring stuff.

I'm thinking there's gotta be a USB to USB cable that'll allow for quick file transfer?????

Any suggestions??

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you can use USB , firewire, network crosover cable, serial cable (not recommended for big files, i've tried and its quite slow). if you use the documents and settings wizard in XP then its easy

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes you are correct in your assumption a USB to USB cable is available in a few variants and is either called Data Link or Smart Link, essentially all are same and have software with will split the screen into two and show both machines at the same time, you just drag and drop files or folder from one to the other, it works both ways.

I have it with me but not using it since I am happy with the portable moble drive.

Anyway you can check it out from any store. I will look it up for you and post the link here shortly

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Here are the links to give you an idea of what it is

http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-usb-data-link-file-transfer-cable-uc250.htm

http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=341996

I also found a link to it within UK but the cable is USB1.1 variant,

http://www.kingswater.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=623

I would urge you to look for the USB 2.0 one as it makes a lot of difference in time it takes to transfer data

USB 1.1 will be 12 M/bits sec
USB 2.0 480 M/Bits sec

Reaction score
Wow. Thank you both for the quick response.

This is such a good forum........I only wish there was a forum as popular as this for software programs, then I'd be sorted.

Reaction score
mojo,

if your in a rush, quickest way (if you haven't got a USB2 or Firewire cable to hand) is to just user a crossover network cable, most people have one of tose knocking around.

J

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I happen to have quite a few old network cables knocking about (the normal straight-through ones), but no x-over cable.
If I were to snip one of the cables in the middle, and get one of those plastic blocks where you can connect/extend wires, would it be possible to convert a straight-through patch lead into a x-over cable, and if so how would I do the rewiring (ie which wire to connect to which).
I know it would be easier to just go out and buy a x-over cable, but i just thought it might be more economic to try to re-use a spare cable i already have.

Ask a Question