Is it true that Norton is the worst Anti-Virus software?

Reaction score
I keep hearing people tell me that Norton is possibly the worst on the market.
I've used it for years and haven't had any issues that I know of.
I'm always defending it, but now I'm getting worried...

Which anti-virus is the best on the market and why?

Any offers of advice would be greatly appreciated to a lil noob like myself...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah itsme is right, Norton is crappo, people have so many problems with it.

Kaspersky, Eset Nod32, 30 day free trials available, Avast is good as well and totally free, use either one with superantispyware also free and you're covered.

Reaction score
Norton is worst AV i've ever used..

Norton makes ur computer go slooooooooooooowwww

Somtimes it crashes too

best is KIS 2009

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments guys....
my subscriptions up in 2 weeks so I think I'll try one of the others you mentioned..

Reaction score
Definitely dump Norton. Our Windows XP desktop used to take 20 minutes to boot up when we ran it. Now after stripping out Norton and installing Avira Antivir (free) with Superantispyware (also free) it's down to less than a minute!

Reaction score
Kaspersky Internet Security :thumb:
That said Symantec must be doing something right as they are still in business & making a wealthy profit!

Reaction score
I was looking at Kaspersky it costs the same as Norton I think? Would you say it is better than these other free ones that other members have kindly suggested. I don't mind paying if I'm truly getting what I pay for!

Reaction score
akamiranda said:
Definitely dump Norton. Our Windows XP desktop used to take 20 minutes to boot up when we ran it. Now after stripping out Norton and installing Avira Antivir (free) with Superantispyware (also free) it's down to less than a minute!

Mine does exactly that and I never had a clue that it could be because of Norton, thanks

Reaction score
Out-dated info and experience guides you all......
Norton A/V is no longer a resource hog compared to other A/V products available.
NAV 2009 is now component based. A bit like Windows Server 2008.
The individual components will only load when needed etc. Install size is greatly reduced.

I'm not a Norton fan, I use KIS 2009 :D
However, one mustn't say something based on old versions when the version in question is the newer one.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
No it's not the worst, Mcafee is. However, Norton does have very slow virus scanner and also slows your computer down too.
I'd recommend Kaspersky or Avast.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
akamiranda said:
I wonder who suggested that :p

JaLing said:
Out-dated info and experience guides you all......
Norton A/V is no longer a resource hog compared to other A/V products available.
NAV 2009 is now component based. A bit like Windows Server 2008.
The individual components will only load when needed etc. Install size is greatly reduced.
You make a good point - the new Norton 2009 appears to be a big improvement in many aspects over the older versions - however I would still stick with Kaspersky and ESET NOD32 whos track record is far better.

Reaction score
I used to use Norton a few years ago, and I had big problems with it, slowing the system down and taking ages to scan, however I have not tried the new Norton 2009 so cant comment on it. But I have been using Kaspersky IS for the last year now and I am really happy with it, I have also recently applied for another year of Kaspersky IS.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Well I'm absolutely convinced now!!

Bought a copy of Kapersky today - £19.99 which I thought was quite reasonable

Thanks everyone for all the advice and info :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This made me laugh, Norton Gaming Edition!!!! lmao

http://www.symantec.com/norton/antivirus-gaming/welcome/index.jsp

Make sure you watch the end. :D

bowdown.gif
:p

Oh and yes, i've been using Kaspersky 2009 for the last few months. Gotta say, me like. After using Keiro and Antivir for years too...

Just dont do the pipelining tweak to Firefox if you use Kaspersky, as actually slows down FF rather than speeding it up! ;)

Ask a Question