    started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate command-line
    switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.

    So, it it possible?

    XP Guy, Apr 23, 2009

  2. XP Guy

    Andrew E. Guest

    RE: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank

    Actually youre trying to install xp as the "preffered method" instead of a
    windows explorer installation..You dont install the cd to the hd however,one
    simply installs xp cd,set the BIOS to boot to xp cdrom as 1st boot
    priority,hd
    2nd (for installation),save & exit BIOS,boot to xp cd (DOS),select install
    xp,
    delete the partition,create one,then xp formats & installs auto.The copy cd
    hd will only cause a malfunction,also,FAT32 is not a preffered file
    system,its
    outdated,use NTFS.

    Andrew E., Apr 23, 2009

  3. XP Guy

    Big_Al Guest

    Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to ablank hard drive?

    XP Guy said this on 4/22/2009 10:56 PM:
    > If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
    > boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
    > drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process after the
    > machine starts and boots itself into DOS?
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you can do
    > that.
    >
    > I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a protected
    > mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).
    >
    > Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install can be
    > started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate command-line
    > switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
    >
    > So, it it possible?

    If you've been around a while, you might remember the old days of win 95
    or win 98 that required a boot floppy to load drivers etc. I think it
    was win98se that actually made the first bootable CD to install from.
    If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
    And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
    created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why not just
    boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All the tools are there!

    Big_Al, Apr 23, 2009
  4. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    Big_Al wrote:

    > > So, it it possible?

    > If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
    > days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
    > load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
    > made the first bootable CD to install from.
    > If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
    > And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
    > created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
    > not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
    > the tools are there!

    Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?

    First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was still
    possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD image
    that was pre-copied to the hard drive.

    What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
    will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive and
    for which may not have any ability to boot from any external device.

    Does that help you wrap your head around this question?

    Now can we get back to answering this question?

    Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
    drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    XP Guy, Apr 23, 2009
  5. XP Guy

    Olórin Guest

    XP Guy wrote:
    > Big_Al wrote:
    >
    >>> So, it it possible?

    >> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
    >> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
    >> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
    >> made the first bootable CD to install from.
    >> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
    >> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
    >> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
    >> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
    >> the tools are there!

    > Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?
    >
    > First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was
    > still possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD
    > image that was pre-copied to the hard drive.
    >
    > What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
    > will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive and
    > for which may not have any ability to boot from any external device.
    >
    > Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
    >
    > Now can we get back to answering this question?
    >
    > Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
    > drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree, but you're
    the supplicant here.

    Olórin, Apr 23, 2009
  6. Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank hard drive?

    XP Guy wrote:
    > If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
    > boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
    > drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process
    > after the machine starts and boots itself into DOS?
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you
    > can do that.
    >
    > I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a
    > protected mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).
    >
    > Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install
    > can be started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate
    > command-line switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
    >
    > So, it it possible?

    Yes.

    Google could have told you that. ;-)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Apr 23, 2009
  7. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    "Olórin" wrote:

    > > What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive
    > > that will then be installed into a system that does not have a
    > > CD drive and for which may not have any ability to boot from any
    > > external device.
    > >
    > > Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
    > >
    > > Now can we get back to answering this question?
    > >
    > > Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a
    > > hard drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    > Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree,
    > but you're the supplicant here.

    And you're obviously the arrogant, stuck-up ass hole here.

    And nice try, by the way, to essentially show that even you can't answer
    the question. By deflecting the question, you are essentially telling
    everyone that you can't answer it.

    XP Guy, Apr 23, 2009
  8. XP Guy

    David B. Guest

    Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to ablank hard drive?

    I would think that a person that goes by "XP Guy" would be able to figure
    this out on his own. At the very least he would know how to use a search
    engine.

    David B., Apr 23, 2009
  9. XP Guy

    Olórin said this on 4/23/2009 9:22 AM:
    > XP Guy wrote:

    >>> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
    >>> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
    >>> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
    >>> made the first bootable CD to install from.
    >>> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
    >>> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
    >>> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
    >>> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
    >>> the tools are there!

    >> Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?
    >>
    >> First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was
    >> still possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD
    >> image that was pre-copied to the hard drive.
    >>
    >> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
    >> will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive and
    >> for which may not have any ability to boot from any external device.
    >>
    >> Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
    >>
    >> Now can we get back to answering this question?
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
    >> drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    > Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree, but you're
    > the supplicant here.

    I agree. Go to bed and get up on the right side.!!

    Big_Al, Apr 23, 2009
  10. XP Guy

    Olórin Guest

    XP Guy wrote:
    > "Olórin" wrote:
    >
    >>> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive
    >>> that will then be installed into a system that does not have a
    >>> CD drive and for which may not have any ability to boot from any
    >>> external device.
    >>>
    >>> Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
    >>>
    >>> Now can we get back to answering this question?
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a
    >>> hard drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    >> Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree,
    >> but you're the supplicant here.

    > And you're obviously the arrogant, stuck-up ass hole here.
    >
    > And nice try, by the way, to essentially show that even you can't
    > answer the question. By deflecting the question, you are essentially
    > telling everyone that you can't answer it.

    "Even I" can't answer the question? Well, you sure as **** can't; but more
    importantly, you can't even ask politely.

    Whatever I may have been telling everyone else, the one thing I *was* trying
    to tell you has clearly gone right over your immature head.

    So long.

    Olórin, Apr 23, 2009
  11. XP Guy

    Twayne Guest

    Andrew E. wrote:
    > Actually youre trying to install xp as the "preffered method"
    > instead of a windows explorer installation..You dont install the cd
    > to the hd however,one simply installs xp cd,set the BIOS to boot to
    > xp cdrom as 1st boot priority,hd
    > 2nd (for installation),save & exit BIOS,boot to xp cd (DOS),select
    > install xp,
    > delete the partition,create one,then xp formats & installs auto.The
    > copy cd to
    > hd will only cause a malfunction,also,FAT32 is not a preffered file
    > system,its
    > outdated,use NTFS.

    Since he has a DOS boot partition, FAT32 is actually REQUIRED! Where
    have you been?

    Twayne, Apr 23, 2009
  12. XP Guy

    Twayne Guest

    OT Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to ablank hard drive?

    XP Guy wrote:
    > Big_Al wrote:
    >
    >>> So, it it possible?

    >> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
    >> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
    >> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
    >> made the first bootable CD to install from.
    >> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
    >> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
    >> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
    >> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
    >> the tools are there!

    > Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?

    LOL! I couldn't have said it better! Dontcha know them egos just gotta
    make thmselves known whether it's relevant or not? :^)

    Twayne

    Twayne, Apr 23, 2009
  13. XP Guy

    Olórin wrote:
    > XP Guy wrote:

    >>> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
    >>> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
    >>> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
    >>> made the first bootable CD to install from.
    >>> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
    >>> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
    >>> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
    >>> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
    >>> the tools are there!

    >> Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?
    >>
    >> First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was
    >> still possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD
    >> image that was pre-copied to the hard drive.
    >>
    >> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
    >> will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive
    >> and for which may not have any ability to boot from any external
    >> device. Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
    >>
    >> Now can we get back to answering this question?
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
    >> drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    > Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree, but
    > you're the supplicant here.

    Yeah, but you have to admit, there are an awful lot of non-answers here
    lately plugging up the archives to make searches impossible. I also
    expect to see responses to the query when I look at a thread; not a
    bunch of egotistic and even sometimes nacissists just wanting to see
    themselves in print. The OP has come into the group at a time when
    those types seem to be crawling out of the walls for every question
    asked.
    The only think I really object to is the x-post to so many irrelevant
    groups, but at least he didn't multi-post, so ...

    Regards,

    Twayne

    Twayne, Apr 23, 2009
  14. XP Guy

    XP Guy wrote:
    > "Olórin" wrote:
    >
    >>> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive
    >>> that will then be installed into a system that does not have a
    >>> CD drive and for which may not have any ability to boot from any
    >>> external device.
    >>>
    >>> Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
    >>>
    >>> Now can we get back to answering this question?
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a
    >>> hard drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

    >> Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree,
    >> but you're the supplicant here.

    > And you're obviously the arrogant, stuck-up ass hole here.
    >
    > And nice try, by the way, to essentially show that even you can't
    > answer the question. By deflecting the question, you are essentially
    > telling everyone that you can't answer it.

    Olorin's a good guy. And there was some uncalled for language used.
    It's a pity it got this far but this group is like that lately which
    should tell you you're dealing with a bunch of newbies. God=anything
    thous is always pretty rude & crude, don't you think? Take the high
    road; you'll be glad you did.

    HTH,

    Twayne

    Twayne, Apr 23, 2009
  15. XP Guy

    Twayne Guest

    XP Guy wrote:
    > If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
    > boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
    > drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process after
    > the machine starts and boots itself into DOS?
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you can
    > do that.
    >
    > I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a
    > protected mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).
    >
    > Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install can
    > be started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate
    > command-line switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
    >
    > So, it it possible?

    Yes, and maybe. An actual straight install of XP I think would work;
    I've done similar things but not exactly what you're trying.
    A bastardized XP disk supplied OEM may or may not work. I had an Acer
    with MCE here awhile back that wouldn't allow it; I was trying to make
    it easy for the user to reinstall because he was, well, just plain
    stupid if he had to do much more than press a button. It was hard coded
    somehow to know whether it was seeing a hard drive or an optical drive,
    something not real hard to tell in code.

    I'd say try it and see what happens. But be sure your catastrophic
    recovery methods are all in place, just in case. I think it may work
    though unless it's a seriously bastardized OEM version. OR, install it
    somewhere "safe" where it won't mess your production drive should it
    fail.

    HTH,

    Twayne

    Twayne, Apr 23, 2009
  16. XP Guy

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank hard drive?

    Windows 95 [versions of] was the first Bootable CD.

    --

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

    Tim Meddick, Apr 23, 2009
  17. XP Guy

    David B. Guest

    Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank hard drive?

    The Windows 95 CD was NOT bootable, nor was the 98 CD.

    David B., Apr 23, 2009
  18. XP Guy

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank hard drive?

    David,
    You're probably right, please forgive me I wasn't thinking (just
    assuming). I can only speak for the Win98SE CD, which I have, and that is
    bootable.

    Tim Meddick, Apr 23, 2009
  19. XP Guy

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Re: Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank

    Twayne

    Andrew is the resident idiot who always posts wrong info and a lot times dangerous
    ones at that

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 23, 2009
  20. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    Shenan Stanley wrote:

    > > Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install
    > > can be started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate
    > > command-line switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
    > >
    > > So, it it possible?

    > Yes.
    >
    > Google could have told you that. ;-)

    If that's true, I haven't found it yet.

    If you have, is there some reason you're not posting it?

    XP Guy, Apr 24, 2009