Windows XP Is HJT Info a Security Risk

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix a virus on my computer (changed my screen wallpaper, controls my browser, tries to sell anti-spyware at safe-strip-download.com).

The only thing that I have seen on searches is using Hijackthis.
Is there a security risk in using HJT?
Does posting the info from HJT provide info that someone can use to access or damage my computer?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see how using HJT would pose a security risk, it's a very useful tool and common in fixing problems :)

Reaction score
its not as much a security risk in using HJT its the risk that you could break your computer if you dont know how to use it.

We dont offer help anymore here with HJT logs but you can try blepping computers as they are able to offer more help.

Regards,

wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks.
I also don't know how it would be a risk. But I don't know anything about how to hack into a computer and what information is hepful in accomplishing that - I'm just a little paranoid.

Is the risk to breaking my computer related to executing HJT (i.e. a bug) or in asking it to modify files that can damage my computer?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, that's right - the risk is associated with incorrectly removing an entry (modifying files as you say) with HJT, and causing problems with Windows. :)

As Wizkid says, we don't analyze HJT logs anymore - but bleeping computers (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html) offer this service :thumb:

Ask a Question