Is Framework 3.0 Graphics intended to replace managed DirectX 3D graphics?

Discussion in 'Microsoft C# .NET' started by Fred Mellender, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. My question is in the subject line.

    Fred Mellender, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Hello, Fred!

    FM> My question is in the subject line.

    "Direct3D: Part of the DirectX family of APIs, Direct3D lets applications create and display 3D graphics. With the advent of the .NET Framework 3.0, mainstream Windows applications can use the 3D capabilities in WPF rather than the more specialized approach that Direct3D provides. Still, some applications that need higher performance, such as 3D games, will continue to use Direct3D. In fact, under the covers, WPF relies on Direct3D for all rendering. "

    ( http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa479861.aspx )

    --
    Regards, Vadym Stetsyak
    www: http://vadmyst.blogspot.com

    Vadym Stetsyak, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Fred,

    My experience with WPF so far shows that 3D capabilites of WPF are pretty
    limited. It can be used as complementary tool for creating better user
    experience, but cannot replace DirectX.

    --
    Stoitcho Goutsev (100)

    Stoitcho Goutsev \(100\), Nov 8, 2006
  4. "Fred Mellender" <> wrote in message
    | My question is in the subject line.

    No, it's not, DirectX 3D is now part of XNA a completely separate product.
    Please consult : http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/XNA/default.aspx for more
    info.

    Willy.

    Willy Denoyette [MVP], Nov 8, 2006