    I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have dotnet 4
    installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they want

    Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

    GS, May 15, 2010

  2. GS

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 15-05-2010 01:39, GS wrote:
    > I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at least
    > half a year.
    >
    > However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard and
    > I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have dotnet 4
    > installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they want
    >
    > Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

    3.5 and 4.0 can coexist.

    It obviously require a bit of attention to ensure that
    stuff that must be build on 3.5 indeed get build on 3.5
    and not 4.0

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 15, 2010

  3. GS

    GS Guest

    thx

    so visual studio 2008 would then default to build with 4.0 then?

    GS, May 15, 2010
  4. GS

    Yves Dhondt Guest

    No. Visual Studio 2008 will not build with anything higher than 3.5.

    Microsoft has always forced people to upgrade Visual Studio with every major
    release of the framework.

    Yves

    Yves Dhondt, May 15, 2010
  5. GS

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 15-05-2010 10:46, GS wrote:
    > "Arne Vajhøj"<> wrote in message
    >> On 15-05-2010 01:39, GS wrote:
    >>> I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at

    > least
    >>> half a year.
    >>>
    >>> However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard

    > and
    >>> I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have

    > dotnet 4
    >>> installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they

    > want
    >>>
    >>> Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

    >> 3.5 and 4.0 can coexist.
    >>
    >> It obviously require a bit of attention to ensure that
    >> stuff that must be build on 3.5 indeed get build on 3.5
    >> and not 4.0

    > so visual studio 2008 would then default to build with 4.0 then?

    No.

    But you will have a 4.0 compiler, libraries and runtime on the
    system.

    And if you install 4.0 with VS 2010 then you will have a VS
    that default build with 4.0.

    Don't startup VS 2010 if installed, don't do any msbuild or
    nant command line builds without checking what version is
    being used.

    Avoid third party stuff that relies on 4.0, because now
    it will run on your development box, but not on the 3.5
    systems you test and run production on.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 15, 2010