is dell easy upgradeable

Reaction score
im sure you guys here this alot...

but i was looking on the dell website and you can pick up an ok desktop for cheap. Including free double memory ect ect

i was looking at all the specs and they seem quite good but most of the systems have intergrated graphics. Im not 100% what this means and could you upgrade the graphics to say a nvidia 6600 without much hassle? also are the machines future proof and would they need some doing to make it a half good computer for playing games like half-life 2 ect ect

they seem good for the price just seeing what you think of them

thanks alot G~MAN

Reaction score
I had to upgrade a dell machine for someone which had on-board graphics. THe job was to install a new graphics card.

This was made quite dfficult by the fact that the AGP slot had been desoldered and removed from the motherboard, leaving the persons only option as PCI graphics.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you can find out which motherboard Dell, or any propriety manufactured PC uses BEFORE you purchase, then you'll be better armed at how much 'upgrading' can be done.

Really is a shame they don't tell you. :(

Reaction score
its not great the machine here are the specs given...

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology (Up to 3.40 GHz,1 MB L2 cache and 800 FSB) or Intel® Celeron® D Processor (Up to 3.06 GHz, 256kB L2 cache and 533 FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Up to 2048MB of dual channel DDR system memory for improved productivity when running power-hungry applications
Up to 160GB 7200RPM hard drive
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2
Integrated Intel® 10/100 Pro network adapter

but i was looking around and saw this beauty at only £299 which looks alot better
http://www.computerelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/CE68.html

muckshifter

Reaction score
Don't buy anything Celeron. Try and also avoid "Intergrated Graphics" of any kind.

The other system seems like an 'entry level' PC ... I would still like to know what the MB is, Asus what? ... even Asus build cheap MBs.
;)

Reaction score
The system can be supplied with 3 different boards. We use the ASUS
P4R800-VM, P4R800-VDX or the Sapphire/EQS M45P8-MLF. These 3 boards are
very similar, the latter being the best performing as it comes with the
ATI IGP9100 Pro chipset whereas the ASUS boards have the standard
IGP9100 chipset.

The motherboard has an 8x AGP slot so you can have the latest graphics
cards if you wanted, plus the board will take 4GB of memory if required

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ah, ATI "chip-set" motherboards, I wondered when we would see them in main-stream ... be aware that they still have a problem with 400 RAM, very crucial if/when upgrading.

Nice to see you doing your own research G~MAN.

Despite what other people say, or think, Asus have never been in my favour, even it I do use them on occasions. Now don't get me wrong, I can't really comment on the ATI’s, as I've yet to see one, I just hope they are not going to get the same reputation that SIS have ... oh, and some of those boards do use SIS chips especially on the SATA side of things.

All these boards are aimed at the "propriety manufactured" PCs, that is to say, it's an all-in-one cheap solution.

I personally will stay well clear of "on-board graphics" of any shape or form.

If you’re happy with it and it's the right price, it’s up to you. I can only draw your attention to possible pitfalls.

:)

Ask a Question