Is CCleaner any good?

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Franky, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Franky

    Franky Guest

    Franky, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Franky

    dfrog Guest

    "Franky" <> wrote in message
    news:954A64B16D94131E75@127.0.0.1...
    > Is CCleaner any good?
    >
    > It is free and I found it at http://www.ccleaner.com/
    >
    > But I did not see CCleaner in Pricelessware
    > http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/alp.htm
    >
    > Is there a reason it is not included?

    I'm using Ccleaner on Win XP Home and have done for about 6 weeks now. I run
    it after every Internet session and it works very quickly and cleanly for
    me. I cannot fault it.

    dfrog

    dfrog, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Franky <>:

    > Is there a reason it is not included?

    Is there a reason why you did not tell us what it is and does?

    Frank

    Frank Delamarre, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Franky

    Hello Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:13:28 +0200, Frank Delamarre
    <> wrote:

    >Franky <>:
    >
    >> Is there a reason it is not included?

    >Is there a reason why you did not tell us what it is and does?

    it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
    both xp and w2k

    it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

    By clean i mean remove history files, temp lfiles, cookies, unused
    entries...etc

    Hello, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Franky

    LPV Guest

    Hello wrote (regarding CCleaner experience):

    > it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
    > both xp and w2k
    >
    > it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

    Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
    As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
    have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
    CCleaner ever hosed your registry?

    Thanks for any input you care to give.

    Loren

    LPV, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Franky

    John H. Guest

    LPV wrote:

    > Hello wrote (regarding CCleaner experience):
    >

    >>it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
    >>both xp and w2k
    >>
    >>it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

    > Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
    > As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
    > have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
    > CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
    >
    > Thanks for any input you care to give.
    >
    > Loren

    We have Ccleaner installed on about 30 stations at work and have plans
    to roll it out to the other 200. (run on boot). We've never had it
    cause problems, and it seems to clear others up.

    John H.

    John H., Aug 21, 2004
  7. Franky

    Jack Purvis Guest

    CCleaner is good but v-e-r-y aggressive. I suggest Regsweeper as a
    better bet. Easier to understand and also freeware..

    Jack Purvis, Aug 21, 2004
  8. "John H." <>:

    > We have Ccleaner installed on about 30 stations at work and have plans
    > to roll it out to the other 200. (run on boot). We've never had it
    > cause problems, and it seems to clear others up.

    It does not erase files securely afaik, which means the file names
    remain and (some) erased files can be undeleted.
    HDCleaner does erase securely:

    http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner.htm

    For effective and safe registry cleaning I recommend Regseeker

    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    Frank

    Frank Delamarre, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Franky

    Al Smith Guest

    > Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
    > As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
    > have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
    > CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
    >
    > Thanks for any input you care to give.
    >
    > Loren

    I just downloaded and tried CCleaner a couple of days ago. It
    seems to work well.

    Al Smith, Aug 22, 2004
  10. Franky

    dansheen Guest

    Al Smith wrote:
    >> Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry
    >> cleaner.
    >> As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that
    >> matter)
    >> have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
    >> CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input you care to give.
    >>
    >> Loren

    It gives the option of saving the registry before making any changes.

    dansheen, Aug 22, 2004
  11. Franky

    LPV Guest

    Frank Delamarre wrote:

    > It does not erase files securely afaik, which means the file names
    > remain and (some) erased files can be undeleted.
    > HDCleaner does erase securely:
    >
    > For effective and safe registry cleaning I recommend Regseeker

    Thanks John, Frank, and everyone else that provided feedback on registry
    cleaners. It's much appreciated!

    Frank, I notice that Regseeker seems to be a beta build. Should this be of
    any concern to me?

    Loren

    LPV, Aug 22, 2004
  12. Franky

    Glenn Guest

    "dfrog" <> wrote in message

    > "Franky" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using Ccleaner on Win XP Home and have done for about 6 weeks now. I

    run
    > it after every Internet session and it works very quickly and cleanly for
    > me. I cannot fault it.
    >
    > dfrog

    My only fault with it (I think) is that after you click it to run, it gets a
    whole pot full of items.

    OK so far.

    There seems to be no help file. Does it delete those items automatically or
    does it give you a chance to choose if you want to? I find no button to
    click either way. I can exit and rerun it and it seems to find nothing so I
    can assume it deleted them. Is there really that much junk out there? It
    shows pages and pages each morning.
    Glenn

    Glenn, Aug 23, 2004
  13. Franky

    dfrog Guest

    "Glenn" <> wrote in message

    > "dfrog" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Franky" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm using Ccleaner on Win XP Home and have done for about 6 weeks now. I

    > run
    > > it after every Internet session and it works very quickly and cleanly

    for
    > > me. I cannot fault it.
    > >
    > > dfrog
    > >

    > My only fault with it (I think) is that after you click it to run, it gets

    > whole pot full of items.
    >
    > OK so far.
    >
    > There seems to be no help file. Does it delete those items automatically

    or
    > does it give you a chance to choose if you want to? I find no button to
    > click either way. I can exit and rerun it and it seems to find nothing so

    > can assume it deleted them. Is there really that much junk out there? It
    > shows pages and pages each morning.
    > Glenn

    Glen, - mine is version 1.11.062, and I have lots of options to choose/don't
    choose to dump.
    In the left hand window are 3 tabs - Windows - Applications - Issues, and on
    each of those tabs are options to include or not include in cleanup op,
    20 options all together. I just left the ones which were set as default.
    If you run it, whatever you have chosen to delete is deleted, so you will
    find nothing on a re-run.
    And yes, there really is that much crap out there depositing itself on your
    hard drive. Some will say it is necessary crap and choose to save it. Some
    won't even know it's there.
    Hope this helps dfrog

    dfrog, Aug 23, 2004
  14. Franky

    Glenn Guest

    "dfrog" <> wrote in message

    > "Glenn" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Glen, - mine is version 1.11.062, and I have lots of options to

    choose/don't
    > choose to dump.
    > In the left hand window are 3 tabs - Windows - Applications - Issues, and

    on
    > each of those tabs are options to include or not include in cleanup op,
    > 20 options all together. I just left the ones which were set as default.
    > If you run it, whatever you have chosen to delete is deleted, so you will
    > find nothing on a re-run.
    > And yes, there really is that much crap out there depositing itself on

    your
    > hard drive. Some will say it is necessary crap and choose to save it. Some
    > won't even know it's there.
    > Hope this helps dfrog

    Understand. I too, used the defaults. I'm used to reg cleaners that show
    you what is junk and -then- give you a chance to delete or save. If you
    ran it just to see what is there and didn't want to delete it, it is too
    late, isn't it?

    Glenn

    Glenn, Aug 23, 2004
  15. "LPV" <>:

    > Frank, I notice that Regseeker seems to be a beta build. Should this be of
    > any concern to me?Frank Delamarre <>

    I've been using it with W98, W2K and XP systems for about a year now
    (it appears to be abandonware) without any problems. It gives red and
    green superfluous entries. If in doubt just delete the green ones.

    Frank

    Frank Delamarre, Aug 24, 2004