    communicate with the other two computers, but it still
    won't connect to the internet.
    Thoughts?

    Steve, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Steve

    Guest Guest

    Networ
    >Bridge: unable to contact your DHCP server." I've ruled
    >out the router and modem - as the other computers work.
    >I've switced mobo and network card. No difference. I
    >even reloaded Windows XP and that fixed it for about two
    >weeks and then it went out again. I can manually set the
    >IP address for 192.168.x.x and that lets the computer
    >communicate with the other two computers, but it still
    >won't connect to the internet.
    >Thoughts?
    >.

    Steve,
    I think that this is most likely a connectivity problem.
    A 169.254 address is called a "PIPA" or Private IP
    Address. This happens when the comp cant find a DHCP
    server to give it an IP address. Since the trouble
    computer is a wired one, try swapping everything you can
    with the one that works. NIC card and ethernet cable
    first. If that doesnt work, make sure that your dhcp
    client service is enable. Administrative Tools -->
    Services. Shoot me an email and let me know how it goes.
    Kyle

    Guest, Aug 30, 2004

  3. In article <27a901c48e4d$65f55760$>, "Steve"
    <> wrote:
    >I've got a couple of computers connected to a router - 2
    >wired, one wirelss. The router is connected to a cable
    >modem. One of the wired computers running Windows XP
    >(service pack 2) will not connect. It keeps setting the
    >IP address at 169.254.xxx instead of 192.168.x.x.
    >I release and renew iconfig and it gives me the
    >message "an error occurred while renewing interface Networ
    >Bridge: unable to contact your DHCP server." I've ruled
    >out the router and modem - as the other computers work.
    >I've switced mobo and network card. No difference. I
    >even reloaded Windows XP and that fixed it for about two
    >weeks and then it went out again. I can manually set the
    >IP address for 192.168.x.x and that lets the computer
    >communicate with the other two computers, but it still
    >won't connect to the internet.
    >Thoughts?

    If you don't have a specific need for the Network Bridge, right-click
    and delete it. Then, run ipconfig again to get an IP address for the
    local area network connection.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Aug 30, 2004
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Neither idea worked. I should add that when this first
    happened, I put in a new mother board with a new
    integrated network card and put in a new network cable.
    That did not fix the problem. The only thing that worked
    was to put in a new hard drive, reformat it, and load
    windows XP on it. Of course, that meant I had to reload
    every program on my computer, so I really don't want to do
    that again. So I'm pretty sure its a Windows issue, but
    can't tell what. BTW, I tried to recover Windows to a
    couple of days before the outage and that didn't do
    anything either.

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 30, 2004
  5. Steve

    Virtuoso Guest

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <27a901c48e4d$65f55760$>, "Steve"
    > <> wrote:
    > >I've got a couple of computers connected to a router - 2
    > >wired, one wirelss. The router is connected to a cable
    > >modem. One of the wired computers running Windows XP
    > >(service pack 2) will not connect. It keeps setting the
    > >IP address at 169.254.xxx instead of 192.168.x.x.
    > >I release and renew iconfig and it gives me the
    > >message "an error occurred while renewing interface Networ
    > >Bridge: unable to contact your DHCP server." I've ruled
    > >out the router and modem - as the other computers work.

    I had the same issue after upgrading to SP2. I used a wireless
    connection that refused to get an IP address after the upgrade. In my
    case it was that I had disabled my local network adapter (since I did
    not use it anyway). But for some reason this does not work. If you
    local network adapter is disabled it might cause wireless adapters not
    to obtain IP addresses after the SP2 upgrade.

    Virtuoso, Aug 30, 2004
  6. Steve

    Quaoar Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a couple of computers connected to a router - 2
    > wired, one wirelss. The router is connected to a cable
    > modem. One of the wired computers running Windows XP
    > (service pack 2) will not connect. It keeps setting the
    > IP address at 169.254.xxx instead of 192.168.x.x.
    > I release and renew iconfig and it gives me the
    > message "an error occurred while renewing interface Networ
    > Bridge: unable to contact your DHCP server." I've ruled
    > out the router and modem - as the other computers work.
    > I've switced mobo and network card. No difference. I
    > even reloaded Windows XP and that fixed it for about two
    > weeks and then it went out again. I can manually set the
    > IP address for 192.168.x.x and that lets the computer
    > communicate with the other two computers, but it still
    > won't connect to the internet.
    > Thoughts?

    Google for both lspfix.exe and winsockxpfix.exe. Both will repair the
    TCP/IP stack.

    Quaoar, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Steve

    Steve Moore Guest

    Bingo! The moment I deleted it the Internet was up and
    running. Thanks.

    Steve Moore

    group
    >for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer

    questions

    Steve Moore, Aug 31, 2004
  8. Steve

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. Before I tried, it, I tried
    someone elses suggestion to delete my bridge connection
    and it worked. I downloaded the fix program and will keep
    it in mind if I have more problems.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2004
  9. Steve

    oc2233

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am having the same problem that Steve had stated in the first post.

    I have a desktop PC and my laptop on the same Linksys router. Both have worked fine for the past year. Now, the laptop is have the problem listed by Steve. The desktop PC is still connected through the router and having no issues. I did an ipconfig /release and /renew and got the same error message as Steve. I do not have a bridge set up and i tried multiple ways of renewing/repairing the tcp/ip stack. I tried lspfix.exe and it returned no errors. I have an IBM thinkpad T60 and am running windows XP

    Thanks for any help you can give!

    oc2233, Oct 14, 2007
  10. Steve

    Greymarine

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same problem here. Damn Vista's black heart.
    After following many peoples suggestions on other forums to reset the TCP/IP stack:
    1. Click on Start button.
    2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    4. Type netsh int ip reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    5. Restart the computer.

    I found that this DIDNT work. Bummer.

    Uninstalling the driver for the netcard didnt work either. I had to uninstall the driver and check the box to delete the driver from the system. After restarting it installed the standard driver and all is well again. I guess if this ever pops up again ill just have to keep doing the same. So much for my first week with Vista - even after SP1. Pretty much regretting the shift from XP if life is going to be like this.

    Hope someone else finds this helpful.

    Greymarine, Jun 15, 2008
  11. Steve

    wjsalts

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    11/18/09 **AWESOME Advice!
    I downloaded the winsockxpfix.exe and it resolved the problem. I had an end user take his laptop to Japan. When he came back to the US, nothing worked.

    Until now, thanks!

    wjsalts, Nov 18, 2009