    still bombs.
    Anybody got a solution to the problem I'm having?

    TIA

    Guest, Jun 23, 2006

  2. This group is about Active Directory which is the Domain Controller
    functionality and by directory they mean LDAP directory not file system
    directory. I am not sure where best to go to get this question answered,
    look for a file system group or security or the generic Windows Server
    groups.

    Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
    www.joeware.net

    ---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

    http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

    Joe Richards [MVP], Jun 23, 2006

    No crap JOE thanks for your snappy answer I know this is Ad not FS but i was
    hoping maybe someone could point me to an FS newsgroup. what MS doesn't think
    anything is wrong with thier crappy file system? where they don't need to put
    a news group up for it.
    oh buy the way JOE i know what LDAP and DC functionality is
    Steven Haskell
    MCSE NT4,2000,2003 and CCNA
    Again thanks for your snappy crappy answer

    Guest, Jun 23, 2006
  4. That is worse than the normal crew who post filesystem questions here...
    You apparently think you know what you are talking about and did it anyway.

    I don't think you were hoping someone could point you at a filesystem
    group at all, or if you did, you have a very poor way of expressing
    yourself.

    Also, I would wonder why you didn't post your claims to fame in previous
    message?

    Joe Richards [MVP], Jun 24, 2006

    Jorge Silva Guest

    Hi

    huchhhhh....

    So many hostility...

    Please guys take it easy, as our good friend Jorge de Almeida Pinto would
    say... hold your horses ... relax....

    Hi Steven Haskell, it seems that you're really nervous, after all you're an
    MCSE NT4,2000,2003, CCNA, PPTUYO, XPTO,HHHDGF, THEBD, HHSGDT, AJJJDTEG, (as
    that mean anything...)and you can't solve a simple FS problem....

    Any way, for the news group in question I think that this is the one that
    you are looking for:

    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

    I hope that the information above helps you

    Good Luck
    Jorge Silva
    MCSA
    Systems Administrator

    Jorge Silva, Jun 24, 2006

    Jorge Silva Guest

    another thing

    the only one that can annoy Joe it's me, with debates about Urgent
    Replication, Urgent queuing, etc... :).

    Jorge Silva, Jun 25, 2006
  7. LOL, even that doesn't annoy me. :) Debate is good.

    Joe Richards [MVP], Jun 25, 2006

    Actually i solved it without any of your braineacs help. third party software
    handles file names far better that MS or should i say ms. by the way no one
    is nervous. just disgusted with your mighty that thou attitudes

    Guest, Jun 26, 2006

    Jorge Silva Guest

    great...

    I glad I coul help
    Best Luck to you to

    Jorge Silva, Jun 26, 2006
  10. You mean handled it better than the native tools that you used. You may
    be surprised to learn that MS did the work, not the third party
    software, the third party software asked the OS to do something in a
    different way than what the default GUI (probably explorer) you used
    did. Of course, you probably knew that and just said it wrong again so
    you could whine some more. :)

    Joe Richards [MVP], Jun 26, 2006

    Check the file permissions. My guess is that the permissions are set
    to the user that created the files and no one else.

    >From the command line you can use the 'CALCS' commeand to change the

    permissions. I had to use this when a files permissions became
    corrupt. It was the only way I could regain access to the file. I
    think you will need to have Admin privledges to run the command on
    other users files.

    - Ryan

    CACLS - Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files.

    Steven wrote:
    > don't know if this is the right group for this but here goes. I have a win2k
    > std edition member server basically it is just a file and print server. i
    > have 1 user that has been storing files for years (these files are attorney
    > coresponses) he has been storing them with invalid file names. i can not copy
    > them, rename them move them or any other them with them (does that make
    > sense?) Anyway i need to do something with these files because i am trying to
    > use a program to copy all files from that server to a stand by server for
    > protection but the program keeps bombing out on me because of these files.
    > I've tried going to a command prompt i break down into the structure see the
    > files try to rename them and it tells me can not find the files specified. I
    > have even tried excluding these files from the copy but for some reason it
    > still bombs.
    > Anybody got a solution to the problem I'm having?
    >
    > TIA

    , Jun 28, 2006