Internet Speed ?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not sure this is in the right section so please move if I have got it wrong.
I have now connected my old xp computer to the same monitor as my new dell windows 7 computer , so I can switch between the two as needed.
I have also connected the xp to the same router/modem as the win 7 machine , both are connected via ethernet cable.
My question is this , If I am online with the win 7 machine and say I was downloading something , would this cause my interenet connection on the xp machine to run really slow ? Or if I am getteing a speed of 2mb for downloading is this speed split between the 2 machines ?
Hope these questions make sense.

Andy

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The speed that is provided by your Service provider is split between all machines on your network. If one machine is downloading many items at once, then the secondary machine will definitely experience some lag time.

Compare it to a standard garden hose, attach a Y valve and two additional hoses.......when both are on full blast, both are relatively slower compared to one being on and one being off.

Reaction score
RE :Internet Speed ?

If your hard drive is too full, then your computer is going to perform slower. Delete old files which are not required.
Remove programs that you are no longer using. Delete temporary files.
Empty your recycle bin. Right click on Recycle Bin. Click Empty Recycle Bin>Yes.
Run an error check on your computer. The error check can remove errors that slow down your computer. If you are using Windows, you can do this by clicking Start>My Computer. Right click on your hard drive and then select Properties. Click the Tools tab>Check Now and then Start.
Defragment your computer. A fragmented computer runs less efficiently. By defragmenting your computer, your computer will operate in a more logical and faster way.
Clean up your registry. You can purchase software that will fix any registry errors on your computer.
Perform this computer maintenance on a weekly basis.

Reaction score
Well normally u get a specific speed of your bandwidth to your household, n then that is split in between the computers that are connected to teh internet. The lower the number of computers downloading stuff the faster the connection is going to be. If you need to check you internet speed go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com and it will actually tell you what the actual speed at the moment is. Plus try to clean up the temporary intenet files and all the unnecessary system files. This n be done in may ways but my favourite way is using ccleaner software. Search for that on google and install it and am sure that will make a difference to your xp computer.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hello everybody peeps innit. Welcome.

Silverhazesurfer and his hosepipes make good sense.

kristain's talking *******s :)

mesob is correct but not terribly helpful eh?

And in answer to your question you have it sussed mon ami, download speed and bandwidth is shared between all devices capable of download. More efficient systems will grab the bigger share of that bandwidth so your situation is normal.

Consider changing your ISP.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Silverhazesurfer and his hosepipes make good sense.

Yeah, I like that analogy. :thumb:

Does the same apply with a wireless router that supplies two PCs? Or is a wireless supply different? :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, hosepipe = Hub, half duplex, therefore would all share the bandwidth

a Switch, however is a little more intelligent and operates at full duplex and two "conversations" will not interfere with one another.

Use the right equipment. ;)

:wave:

Ask a Question