Windows Vista internet security

Reaction score
Not being very experienced with computers i hope someone can help me with a possible problem.I have a desktop running Xp pro and connect to the Internet using a modem a telephone line.My service provider is Plusnet.I also have a Laptop running Vista Home Premium connecting to the Internet wirelessly using the Thomson modem supplied by Plusnet.When checking in network and sharing it shows Plusnet Wireless and Wpa2 Personal.I would have thought it would show Secured or similar.Can someone tell me if i am secure from other wireless laptops etc using my connection?

Reaction score
If you have to put in a password to connect to your wireless, then yes. WPA/2 is a type of security, however, it doesn't necessarily mean that a password has been entered. If you never entered a password to connect to your wireless, then it is open to the public (or, at least, the public in range of the signal). If you need to add a password to the wireless, you will have to do that manually by connecting to the router.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ALOW.
I don`t have to enter a password.
When the Laptop boots up a symbol next to the clock shows two monitors and a ball and if i put the cursor over it it shows plusnet wireless and signal strength.
A click on the internet explorer icon takes me to the Plusnet home page.

Reaction score
I think if you take a look at the forum posts here, you should be able to find out if there is a password stored or not. If there is not one stored, then there is no password required

Ask a Question