Internet interupted by phone

Reaction score
Hi, I checked in Search but couldn't find anything. Sorry if I missed it.
Since I replaced my non-wireless router with a wireless one, I find that whenever a phone is answered in the house, all the lights on the router flash and the internet connection fails. It takes about 3 to 4 mins after the phone call is finished to get back on the net. This is quite frustrating when bidding on Ebay, amongst other things. There are 2 hard wired phones and a cordless phone in the house and all wall phone outlets have filters. I thought it could have been the cordless phone signal but it also happens when a hard-wired phone is in use. I've bought new filters but made no difference.
Any ideas, please?
Mike

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What ISP are you with ? Have youcontacted them and reported there may be a fault somewhere ?

Reaction score
I'm with Virgin. No haven't contacted them cos I assumed it was a hardware problem....router, phone, etc.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My first guess would have been the filters - but as it's not that, it may be worth trying a few things to see if you can narrow down the problem.

If you unplug all of the phones (but keep your ADSL router/modem plugged in), try calling your landline from a mobile number and see what happens.

Did you make any other changes apart from the router? It seems that there may be a difference in tolerances with the router, or a problem with it.

I know little about how ADSL works, but I know we've got much more knowledgeable people on here - so hopefully you'll get some further ideas :).

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that later when my wife has finished talking to everyone in the world!
Just noticed, now that a phone is in use in the house, that in Windows Task manager, my LAN in in "operational" state, and double clicking on the 2 monitor icon in the sys tray, my status is "connected" with a speed of 100.0 Mbps. Yet my internet and emails are locked up!!!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Try plugging the router directly into the test socket?

See - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

Try plugging the old router back in, see if the fault continues.

~ adsl drops out when phone call is made or received.
  • Incorrectly installed filters - check filters are installed correctly see here.
  • Faulty filters - replace one by one to identify which filter is faulty.
  • Fault on the line - unlikely but possible if all else has been eliminated.
Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm#ixzz1rCQJ6nMJ

Ask a Question